I think most people would agree that there isn’t much more satisfying than the most chewiest chocolate chip cookie ever, amiright?! In my search for that BEST chocolate chip cookie recipe over the years, I’ve found I’ve had to try A LOT of not-so-stellar cookies before I found the right one. Another thing I’ve realized is that there isn’t much separating most classic chocolate chip cookie recipes…except for this one, which is what makes it the most perfect one ever!
I do want to preface this by saying that this is NOT my recipe. The truth is, I don’t know where I found this recipe. I’ve had it for almost 10 years and cannot find the original source. I have tweaked a couple of amounts over the years (like lessening the salt amount), but for the most part, it’s stayed pretty much the same. The truth is, you will find thousands of variations of this exact recipe online – who knows we was the original with it!
So what makes them the chewiest chocolate chip cookies ever? The secret ingredient is actually cornstarch! Ya, you read that right! Cornstarch is known to add more consistency and thicken sauces and mixtures, but when it comes to adding it in baking, it’s known to help break down the harsh proteins in flour, yielding a much more tender result.
The other thing about these cookies is that there’s actually more brown sugar than white sugar. This not only gives it more depth of flavour but it helps add more moisture into the cookie, which is very necessary when trying to create the chewiest chocolate chip cookie!
The final tip I want to give you when baking these cookies is to UNDER BAKE them! I will say it again – UNDER BAKE YOUR COOKIES! I can’t tell you how many times I’ve eaten cookies and thought to myself, “Ya, these would be so much better had they been removed from the oven five minutes sooner!” The recipe says to bake for 8-10 minutes – for my oven, it’s 9 minutes which is the sweet spot. You will have to test out what it is with your oven. When you see the edges turning EVER SO SLIGHTLY brown, it’s time for them to come out. Leave them on the cookie sheet for another five minutes as they will continue to bake. Then when you put them on the cooling rack, they will still take additional time to fully set. Don’t get scared and think they aren’t baked if they still “move” when you remove them. They are baked – trust me!
The very last thing I’ll say before sharing the recipe is that you should absolutely make two batches at one time because I can almost guarantee that one won’t last the day in your home – it sure doesn’t in our home!
Chewiest Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter softened
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together butter and both sugars until fluffy. Add in egg and vanilla and blend in
- Mix in flour, cornstarch, baking soda and salt. Once blended, stir in chocolate chips by hand
- Line cookie sheet with parchment paper. Scoop out cookies in roughly a tablespoon size, round in your hands and place onto baking sheet. Gently push the cookie down to give it the perfect cookie shape
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, until barely light brown around the edges. Note: DO NOT OVER BAKE!
- Let cool on cookie sheet for approximately five minutes before transferring to cooling rack. Cookies will take 10-15 minutes to completely set. Makes approximately 1 dozen cookies
Well there you have it friends – quite possibly the best, most chewiest chocolate chip cookies you will EVER eat! Truly delicious! Looking for another amazing chocolate chip recipe? Try our famous Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins!
Love & Blessings,