• Bathrooms / Decor / DIY / One Room Challenge

Maximalistic French Powder Room Renovation: One Room Challenge Week 2

Welcome to Week 2 of our Maximalistic French Powder Room Renovation! We are participating in this years One Room Challenge where we are renovating the smallest room in our new home – only 25 square feet!

Last week, we shared with you our inspiration for the space. If you missed it, make sure to catch up HERE. We were so overwhelmed with the positive feedback from everyone and we can’t wait to start pulling the space together.

But before all the “pretty” can happen, we’ve got to strip it down to the bones. That’s right, this room, like our laundry room renovation last Fall, is a complete gut job.

So brace yourself, because these are by far the UGLIEST pictures this blog has EVER posted! LOL! I’m kind of embarrassed that I’m sharing these for the world to see! But alas, this is how our powder room looks!

As I mentioned last week, when we tore down the laundry room, we ended up “stealing” some space from the adjoining powder room. We tore down the wall between the two spaces and moved it back into the powder room by about three feet.

We obviously finished up the wall on the laundry room side, but we never got around the finishing up the powder room side. Chris had one piece of drywall leftover, so he managed to put it on the upper part of the wall, mainly to anchor the electrical to keep it safe for the kids.

I actually don’t have a picture of what it looked like before we tore down the wall on the powder room side of things, but there used to be a double wide vanity, which we thought was totally unnecessary and why we claimed some of the square footage into the laundry room.

But once we took out the vanity, we knew that we needed a temporary sink for the space to somewhat function until this renovation. So I visited our local ReStore and found this basic white ceramic pedestal sink for $30. Then we grabbed the cheapest faucet we could from the hardware store, as the previous one didn’t fit into this pedestal sink and basically just called it a day.

Every time I have gone into this space for the last five months, I cringe! We even hosted a huge Christmas party here a few weeks after we finished the laundry room and I couldn’t believe this was the washroom our guests had to use! But hey, that’s the new of game when renovating an old house, right?!

Well friends, it can only go up from here, right?!

Stay tuned next week as we tear it all down to start building it back up. We have to do the plumbing, electrical, drywall and flooring all before we start making it pretty again!

Christine

• Reply Jen @ Jenron Designs April 10, 2019 at 10:20 pm

Wow that is quite a journey but I now you have a wonderful plan and this space is going to be great! Wishing you all the best.

• Reply Amanda - Life at Cloverhill April 10, 2019 at 10:40 pm

We did a powder room renovation a couple years ago (also 25 sq ft!) and it’s crazy how such a little space can almost be as much work as a large room. Love that you’re putting big style into a small room – it’s going to pack an awesome punch. Excited to follow along.

• Reply Christine April 11, 2019 at 7:37 am

Thanks so much Amanda! Ya…I was a little nervous at first to go so bold in such a small space, but I think it will be such a fun treat for everyone who goes in!

• Reply Christine April 11, 2019 at 7:35 am

Thanks Jen! Ya, it’s crazy how much these two spaces have transformed!

• Reply Inna Kovalinskiy April 11, 2019 at 12:19 am

I feel I am on the same page as you in regards to our reno! This space is going to look so good and that was so smart to steal a little bit of room for your laundry! I off to check out what you did with that space! Can’t wait to see how you will beautify this space!

• Reply Christine April 11, 2019 at 7:38 am

Thanks Inna! It was definitely a last minute decision to move the walls and make the powder room a bit smaller but I think in the end, it was the right decision. So now it’s just about making these 25 square feet SHINE!

• Reply Catherine April 11, 2019 at 1:05 am

I love seeing the before! It makes the after so much better!

• Reply Christine April 11, 2019 at 7:38 am

Haha, right?! And with how bad these before pics are, I think anything we do will shine! HA!

• Reply Jewel April 11, 2019 at 5:31 am

Hi Christine! It’s a perfect blank slate and I am excited to see you rock it!

• Reply Christine April 11, 2019 at 7:39 am

Thanks so much girl! I can’t wait to see it come together!

• Reply Mary K Hunnicutt April 11, 2019 at 9:41 am

Seeing the awful before pics, just makes the after pics that much better! I am looking forward to seeing how you transform this space!

• Reply Joannie April 11, 2019 at 10:05 am

The demo can be so painful but like you said it can only get better now! And I can’t wait to see it!

• Reply Tee at Beauteeful Living April 11, 2019 at 10:08 am

Looks like progress with all the demo! Don’t worry about the not so pretty “before” photos. The reveal will be extra dramatic :). Good luck!

• Reply Libbie April 11, 2019 at 11:28 am

I love a powder room update. Such a tiny space but can have such a big impact! Can’t wait to see how it turns out.

• Reply Emy April 14, 2019 at 9:38 am

The ugly stage just makes the results more worth it! It’s going to be gorgeous!

• Reply Tash @ thedreamhouseproject April 14, 2019 at 12:26 pm

I feel you on being embarrassed inviting guests into an unfinished powder room. Thankfully ours had full walls, lol! But you know what? The worse the before state is just makes the transformation that much more spectacular when it’s all completed and pretty. I can’t wait to see how this one turns out friend. xo