• Decor / Nurseries

Boys Room Makeover (Week 3)

Welcome to week three of our boys room makeover. For the last few weeks, I’ve been sharing the beginning details of their new room design. If you’ve missed it, you can catch up here, here and here.

Boys Room Inspiration

Last week I talked with you about how we painted the walls and this week I wanted to talk about how we painted the beds! Yup, you read that right: we painted the beds!

Before I get into that, let me walk you through our decision on what beds to get the boys. Up until this point, our older son was in a loft bed and our youngest was still in his crib.

IMG_5914

We had always thought that we would want bunk beds in their room but as we started searching we realized that a) bunk beds aren’t always the coolest looking things and b) the coolest ones were super expensive.

I ended up finding a bunk bed on kijiji (similar to Craig’s List) that were two identical twin beds, that you could stack on each other for twins or use as two separate beds. They were in almost perfect condition and a fraction of the costs of bunks.

IMG_5888

The only issue with them was that they weren’t the right colour. So we decided that we would paint them.

For colour, we wanted something fun that would bring out one of the colours from their comforters. So we decided on yellow!

Using our Para Paints fan deck, we selected the perfect yellow paint called “Beach Tote.” It’s like the perfect blend of lemon and banana a yellow.

para paints beach tote

My husband and mother-in-law set up quite the paint shop in our garage. They used Para Paints super stick as a primer first. But there ended up being a problem: the beds ended up having an oil finish and so once the super stick primer was dry, you could peel it right off.

So my husband sanded down all of the parts of the bed and they started over again.

IMG_5923

The paint went on really well, as it did with the walls. I really love Para Paints for the thick consistency, easy application and low odours. It makes painting that much more enjoyable!

IMG_5928

And that, my friends, is it for this weeks update! Make sure to follow along with all the other participants from Calling It Home’s One Room Challenge!

And be sure to tune in next week when I show you the bedding that we chose and how it looks set up with the beds!

• Reply Tilisa April 21, 2016 at 3:46 am

Those yellow beds are amazing! This is going to be one fun room!

• Reply Stacey April 21, 2016 at 7:40 am

That bright yellow is cute! Your inspiration picture sure is fun for boys.

We’d love for you to link up this post with us at Thoughts of Home on Thursday. Our readers would enjoy seeing your progress.

• Reply ashley@biggerthanthethreeofus April 21, 2016 at 9:25 am

Love the pop of color and that “boys will be boys” print. Can’t wait to see how this turns out. 3 weeks left. Crazy beans.

• Reply Jen @ Fresh Crush April 21, 2016 at 10:14 am

I love the bed colour! So fun! Can’t wait to see your room all finished up!

• Reply Jen @ RamblingRenovators April 21, 2016 at 10:27 am

This room is going to look so cute. Yay for kijiji scores (but boo for having to paint twice).

• Reply Molly April 21, 2016 at 11:49 am

How cute are those yellow beds!! Excited to check back next week!

• Reply Pam April 21, 2016 at 5:01 pm

Ahhh!! I suspense of this room reveal is too much!!! The beds look great!! I can’t wait to see the finished product!! I’m sure it’s going to be amazing!!!

• Reply Jessica April 21, 2016 at 9:45 pm

I like the bed color. That pop of color will look great against the grey and all that Black and white. Love it!

• Reply Tammy April 22, 2016 at 11:02 am

I love the color you selected for the beds and can’t wait to see this room come together.

• Reply Danielle April 22, 2016 at 11:45 am

Having to paint the primer twice sounds like no fun, but those beds will really pop!

• Reply Kristin @ Postbox Designs April 23, 2016 at 6:28 pm

You had me at the bed makeover-I am so in love with that color, I can’t wait to see the finished product!! Can’t wait to see your finished space…it will probably make me want to re-do MY kiddos’ rooms 🙂

• Reply Amanda @ Old House to New Home April 25, 2016 at 10:12 am

I love the bright yellow! I can’t wait to see those beds with the linens on them!