If you haven’t already heard, we are updating our boys’ room. Two weeks ago, I shared all about our inspiration for this room and last week, I introduced you to the room, in its original state (one word: YIKES).

This week, I want to take you behind-the-scenes and start showing you the progress that we’ve made so far. As I mentioned last week, I am participating in Calling It Home’s One Room Challenge, where a bunch of fabulous home decor bloggers all makeover one space in their homes and share it together on Thursdays, for six weeks.

So let’s start with the paint, because that is truly where every space begins its transformation is with the walls. I’ve had the privilege of working with Para Paints this year and I have to say that after 10+ years of painting the homes that we have lived in, this is hands down the best paint I’ve ever used. We have been using the Para Premium and Ultra lines and the paint is just fabulous. So thick and yet goes on smoothly. One thing I love about their paints is that they have very low fumes, making it ok for the kids to be in the home while painting. We actually find that the smell of the paint reminds us of play-doh.

Screenshot 2016-04-13 23.51.06

Ok, getting back to the walls, we wanted something light and neutral but still cool in color. So we selected a light gray called “Book Worm.” Then the week we were going to start painting, I had an idea to add interest to the wall: paint it two colors! I decided to put a white “border” around the room. So we used “Out For a Stroll” white to complete the look.

I’m honestly not really sure where that idea came from, but then the other day, when I was drinking my coffee, I looked down at my favorite coffee mug and realized that maybe the mug had been sending me subliminal messages all this time! Because the boys walls kind of look just like my coffee mug (minus the cable knit)!

IMG_9085

boys room makeover

So we started by painting the top quarter of the walls white and then measured and taped off the white strip and painted the gray. Ok truthfully, I didn’t do it, my mother-in-law did, which I am grateful for.

It turned out exactly how I pictured it and I just love the extra detail it gives to the walls. I also feel like it makes the room look much bigger and taller than it actually is as the white takes  your eyes up higher into the ceiling! It’s crazy how just painting a room can transform it so much, before adding anything back into it!

boys room makeover

Well that’s the update for week #2! Make sure you come back next Thursday to see the beds that we bought second hand and how we repainted them!

18 Comments on Boys Room Makeover (Week 2)

1. Tara @ Lehman lane
    April 14, 2016 at 1:07 am (1 year ago)

I really like the color you chose for your boys room Christine! How nice of your mother in law to help you paint!!!

August 8, 2016 at 12:48 pm (9 months ago)

Thank you. We are very happy with the color choices and help.

2. Amanda @ Old House to New Home
    April 14, 2016 at 9:28 am (1 year ago)

I love the white accent at the top! So pretty and clean looking! That gray is such a perfect gray too!

3. Vel
    April 14, 2016 at 10:23 am (1 year ago)

i LOVE how you painted the room! I’m doing a boys room re-do too! Excited to follow along Christine!

4. Kristin @ Postbox Designs
    April 14, 2016 at 1:34 pm (1 year ago)

This is my first time to your blog, so cute! I can relate, we had three kids all under 4–now the oldest is 8, it does get slightly less “chaotic” 🙂 Love all of the paint choices…I’ve been known to make my final selection just by paint name alone! I stuck with just old white for my ORC, but loving that gray!

5. Jaclyn | One Thousand Oaks
    April 14, 2016 at 2:29 pm (1 year ago)

Your paint line looks great! I am so nervous to paint stripes in my house because I don’t want to mess it up. I really like the color combo you selected for the room too.

6. Iris Nacole
    April 14, 2016 at 5:20 pm (1 year ago)

I really like that painting trick! It looks great!

7. Laura Ingalls Gunn
    April 14, 2016 at 8:58 pm (1 year ago)

Christine I adore the direction that your room is headed towards! You did SO much better than I did in my room this week.

I would love for you to share this post at Thoughts of Home on Thursday. I think my readers would really enjoy it!

Good luck in the upcoming week!

8. Carrie at Kenarry: Ideas for the Home
    April 15, 2016 at 11:28 pm (1 year ago)

Christine, your paint looks fantastic! What a cool idea to have a white stripe around the top – I love that the coffee made you do it! The neutrals you’ve chosen are really going to make the colors in your boys room pop. Looking forward to seeing what’s next!

9. Sarah
    April 16, 2016 at 1:38 pm (1 year ago)

Looks really good with the two-tone paint job! Great idea and I can’t wait to see more.

10. Erin H
    April 19, 2016 at 3:10 pm (1 year ago)

Loving how it’s coming together already! Can’t wait to see the rest! 🙂

11. Jennifer
    April 19, 2016 at 9:40 pm (1 year ago)

What a nifty idea!

12. Stephanie @ Casa Watkins Living
    April 20, 2016 at 10:43 pm (1 year ago)

In love with these colors!!!!! Its going to look fantastic. Can’t wait to see what you have done for Week 3!

13. Kim Carter-Young
    April 25, 2016 at 10:34 am (1 year ago)

Love the white accent! It’s going to be gorgeous!

14. Katy {ashadeofteal}
    April 28, 2016 at 7:31 pm (1 year ago)

The paint looks great, it really does make the room look bigger!