I’ve mentioned a few times before that we don’t live anywhere near family. In fact, I haven’t lived near my family for half of my life.
When I was 17 years old, I packed up my belongings and moved across the country from Ottawa, Ontario to Abbotsford, British Columbia (just outside of Vancouver), for school. Two days in, I met my now husband and we started dating fairly quickly. When my four years were finished, I graduated and then six weeks later got married and moved to a small town in southwestern Ontario with my new husband, which was about eight hours away from my family, so we didn’t see them that often.
Now that we live on the east side of Toronto, it’s the closest we’ve ever lived to family, being just under four hours away. This makes weekend visits much more possible with a quick drive up Friday night and head back Sunday afternoon.
So for us, family visits are always a big deal. I often hear people complain about how much they see their family or wish there was more space between them, and I guess I just can’t relate at all. Especially now with the kids, there are many days I would give just about anything to have my mom go pick up the kids from school or head over for dinner one night, etc. It’s those little things that can often be taken for granted and it’s not until you don’t have it that you realize how much you value it.
So when my parents come, it’s party time! And by party, I usually mean sitting in our jogging pants, with chips and dips and all kinds of yummy finger foods and hanging out at home, laughing the night away. Simple yet perfect!
And that’s exactly how we celebrated this past weekend when my parents came to town!
I whipped up a couple recipes from Tostitos that were absolutely delicious that I thought I’d share with you! Super easy and quick to make which means more time together with the family!
- 1 bag (220 g) Tostitos® Multigrain Tortilla Chips
- 3 ripe avocados, peeled and pitted
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) lime juice
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground cumin
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) diced white onion
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and diced
- Mash together avocados, lime juice, salt and cumin. Stir in onion, cilantro and jalapeño until well blended.
- Serve with tortilla chips.
- Tip: Add 2 seeded and diced plum tomatoes or a jar of Tostitos® Chunky Salsa if desired.
- 2 cans chili
- 1 pkg marble cheese, shredded
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1 jar Tostitos® Salsa
- 1 bag Tostitos® Scoops!® Tortilla Chips
- Warm chili in microwave.
- Spoon salsa and chili into Scoops!®.
- Top with cheese, garnish with green onion and serve.
- This recipe called for Tostitos Scoops but we used the Hint of Lime chips and they were amazing
- Also, we broiled the nachos in the oven for a couple minutes to let the cheese melt
It doesn’t have to be a big party or occasion to get the family together and celebrate over great food. Whether it’s family coming into town like mine or it’s celebrating a good report card for the kids or the fact that a child slept through the whole night in their own bed (yes, that’s a problem here), life is meant to be enjoyed with those we love the most! And it really doesn’t have to be complicated — grab some Tostitos, whip up a couple of easy recipes and start celebrating!
Love & Blessings,
Note: This post was sponsored by Tostitos Canada where I may have received product and/or compensation in exchange for my honest review. Like always, the thoughts and opinions are 100% my own.