• Inspiration / Kids / Lifestyle

Why I’m Not Sad That My Kids Are Back in School

back to school

Across most of Canada, today marks the first day of this new 2015-2016 school year. Even if you don’t have kids heading to school, one quick scroll through your Facebook newsfeed and you will soon be alerted that it is in fact back to school today. With almost every parent posting the classic “stand in front of the house door with your backpack on while holding a sign to indicate what grade you are in” picture, along with some kind of reflection of just how fast the kids are growing up or a hashtag that reads something like #wherehastimegone.

I admit it…I am one of those parents too. While I didn’t have time to make a cute sign for my two to hold this year, they did (reluctantly) pose for a picture before we all headed to school.

This year, we are sending TWO of our three children to school, full time. Our oldest is heading into Senior Kindergarten (SK) and our middle is starting his school journey in Junior Kindergarten (JK). And quite honestly, this momma is so excited!

back to school

Don’t get me wrong, I have some anxiety, fears and a touch of sadness that they are gone, but truthfully, I am just really excited for THEM. Last year, my sentiments were not quite the same. I was deep in my struggle with postpartum depression, which I didn’t know about at the time, and I was an absolute basket case, sending my first born into the big, dark, scary world of JK. I cried and cried and then I cried some more. My husband, lovingly told me that he thought I had a problem because as much as parents struggle with sending their kids to school, my struggle was on a whole other level.

A few weeks in, things settled down, I finally had a proper diagnosis and then we all adjusted to our new normal. It probably helped that my daughter absolutely LOVED school. I offered to let her stay home whenever she wanted (here in Ontario our kids go to school full-time in JK…which has been debated by many parents as being a little too much for 3-4 year olds), but she insisted that she didn’t miss one day! She loved her teacher and all her friends and clearly, her new found freedom from home.

We also sent our middle son to a preschool, twice a week, last year, to prepare him for his transition to JK this year. He is very much a home body and would love to be by my side all day long, if I let him. While he loves adventure, he also loves familiarity and is most at ease in his natural habitat, a.k.a home. We’ve prepped him as best as we could for the start to this year and with much excitement and a little bit of nerves, he transitioned from a preschooler to a kindergartener today with great ease.

As I read through many of my friends posts and even saw some moms and dads at the school crying, I couldn’t help but feel guilty that I’m not overcome with sad emotions about my two going to school. I said to my hubby, as we were leaving the school, “Is it bad that I’m kind of excited about this?” And his quick response was, “Nope! Let’s go for breakfast!” Clearly, he was ok with it too.

[pullquote width=”300″ float=”left”]I’ve taught them just about everything they know and now I sit here and I’m excited for them to get out into the world and start putting into practice what they’ve learnt…I’m excited for the new friends, the new experiences and the new memories they will make.[/pullquote]

You see, here’s the thing. For four and five years now, I’ve invested so much of my time into my two oldest children. Every waking minute…it’s been me (and hubby, when he’s home), taking care of them, teaching them, feeding them, nurturing them, etc. I’ve taught them how to be kind and respectful and caring and polite. I’ve taught them how to make friends and help others feel included. I’ve taught them all about Jesus and how much He loves them. I’ve taught them about how they need to take care of their bodies by eating well and cleaning themselves daily. I’ve taught them just about everything they know and now I sit here and I’m excited for them to get out into the world and start putting into practice what they’ve learnt. I’m excited for them to make their momma proud. I’m excited for all the new adventures that lie ahead. I’m excited for the new friends, the new experiences and the new memories they will make.

I’m not sad that I won’t be there with them…because I’ve been there all along. And truthfully, I am still here, picking them up from school, feeding them, teaching them, bathing them, reading them their bedtime story. I’m still here to nurture and guide and love. But I’m not sad that they are growing up, rather, I’m excited to see the beautiful children they are becoming. To learn more and more about their personalities and the gifts and dreams God has placed on their lives. I’m excited to see them flourish, as they grow into the man and woman God has created them to be.

So today, I’m not sad. Although it marks a new chapter in our family’s lives with two kids going to school, I’m ready to embrace this new season with open arms and grow alongside my kids. Perhaps a little bit more distanced than we’ve been over the last number of years, but still side-by-side, cheering them on as they set out into this big world!

• Reply Dayne September 8, 2015 at 3:12 pm

Great post! It makes me upset when I see parents crying in front of their children like that. If they want their kids to stay calm at their first day of school, being a blubbering mess will NOT calm their anxieties! Come on parents! Be STRONG for your kids! πŸ˜€

• Reply Christine September 9, 2015 at 10:32 am

Haha! RiGHT?! Totally agree! xox

• Reply Anali Martinez September 8, 2015 at 3:14 pm

Sounds like they went back to school prepared! I used to cry all though elementary about going back to school. Lol Great post! Thanks for sharing!

• Reply Christine September 9, 2015 at 10:33 am

They did! Now when my last one leaves the house, it may be a different story! We will have to see! xox

• Reply cindy calzone September 8, 2015 at 3:25 pm

You sound like one good momma to me! I love how you
    remember that you are still there to nurture and care
    for them. Our jobs are far from over just because they’re
    in school several hours a day. I feel the same as you do
    for the most part..you don’t need to feel horribly sad
    for back to school. If you feel good about it, own those
    feelings! Your kids are probably so well adjusted that
    they’re excited and happy!

• Reply Christine September 9, 2015 at 10:34 am

Couldn’t agree more! xox

• Reply Jo-Anne September 8, 2015 at 4:34 pm

Great post and really LOL to Dayne’s post. Still laughing. With that said, I too am excited to see where God is going to take these precious kids.

• Reply Christine September 9, 2015 at 10:34 am

Thanks Mom! Me too! xox

• Reply Emily September 8, 2015 at 5:20 pm

I love your authenticity! Great blog post πŸ™‚

• Reply Kathy September 8, 2015 at 9:05 pm

Glad to hear that your experience this year was totally different than last year! You’ve got this thing DOWNNNNNN! πŸ™‚

• Reply Lauren English September 8, 2015 at 9:50 pm

I love this. My favorite part is how you say that even though they’ll be away from you at school, you’re still with them and a huge part of their lives and days. You make me excited to have little ones and spend my days with them!

• Reply Christine September 9, 2015 at 10:35 am

Awe! I’m so glad to hear that! Thanks for reading along! xox

• Reply Jacynta September 8, 2015 at 10:20 pm

aww I hope the kiddies had a great first day! Especially Gabriel, it being his first first day and all!
    Btw, you are the cutest little momma! So fashionable!

• Reply Christine September 9, 2015 at 10:35 am

He had a great day! And thank you! xox

• Reply Elly Brown September 8, 2015 at 10:31 pm

Such a beautiful way to put it mama! I loved reading this. I will remember this when my two little ones go off to school!

• Reply britani marie September 9, 2015 at 12:11 am

I can’t even imagine my son going to school! He is 18 months, I think I may be that parent. However, you are right! We should be excited to see them flourish and become who God called them to be πŸ™‚

• Reply Christine September 9, 2015 at 10:36 am

I couldn’t image it either when my kids were smaller…but it does get easier! xox

• Reply Kim September 9, 2015 at 10:09 am

I couldn’t agree more, this is such a fresh perspective! It is sad sometimes when a sweet chapter of our life closes, but the new chapter can be just as amazing! well said!

• Reply Angela @ Setting My Intention September 9, 2015 at 10:10 am

I am right there with you. I felt hesitant with my eldest but with my youngest I had no qualms. He started a full day school program (4k) last year. It probably helps that he was in full day daycare 3x/week before that when I work. I may have had tears of joy when the daycare bills stopped. πŸ˜€

• Reply Christine September 9, 2015 at 10:37 am

HA! RIGHT?! Totally hear you on that one! πŸ˜‰

• Reply Rae September 9, 2015 at 10:13 am

I don’t ever remember my mom crying on my first day of school β€” I think she was just excited to get me out of the house!

• Reply Christine September 9, 2015 at 10:37 am

Me also! hah! It is a nice break and I just feel everyone (at least in our home), functions better and appreciates one another more!

• Reply Nakeya September 9, 2015 at 10:29 am

Great post. I’m never sad either. #SorryNotSorry

• Reply brittany September 9, 2015 at 10:46 am

Love this post mama! I love that you’re not sad! Yes, you have prepared them for this day!!! Go you!

• Reply Lindsay September 9, 2015 at 11:15 am

I just adore this picture of your two oldest. Your little miss and that sassy pose – Momma, you gonna have problems when she reaches her teens! πŸ˜‰

• Reply Shann September 9, 2015 at 11:19 am

Such a great attitude to have. My oldest just started full days of kindergarten, and I’m still adjusting. I’ll get there, but I am struggling a bit.

• Reply Crystal September 9, 2015 at 1:44 pm

This is our 3rd week of school for this year. How late do you guys go into the next year? I love this post! Such great perspective that I will remember for all of the new school years to come!

• Reply Ashley September 9, 2015 at 1:48 pm

Beautiful. Yes. Though a piece of me is slightly mournful that they are getting older, I am so happy and excited to watch them grow. To hear the things that are important and meaningful to them. And to hear the things that they repeat from me – you know, those random reminders that they have heard me all these years – those random words that have found their way into their hearts and minds.

• Reply Katie September 9, 2015 at 3:10 pm

It does seem sad to send them off but how exciting for them! It’s great to focus on the positive, they have an awesome journey lying ahead of them that’s only just beginning!

• Reply cuteheads September 9, 2015 at 7:07 pm

Thats the cutest pic ever, even if they don’t have a sign ❀️ I struggled with PPD too, and I can’t imagine sending a kid off to school in the middle of it. Big hugs to you!

xo,
    Esther

• Reply Sandy September 9, 2015 at 10:19 pm

I am totally with you on this post! I sent my baby to Kindergarten this year and everyone asked me if I was sad, and I kept saying, No! I am good! I joked I would be sad for like a second, but then I would be just fine! Although I was anxious for him to get home so I could hear all about it, I enjoyed my time without the kids! Great post!

• Reply Justine Y @ Little Dove Creations September 10, 2015 at 12:28 pm

Love this Christine. I’m definitely a mixture too… I’m excited for him and I know he loves it, but I’m a little sad about the time flying by… I swear I remember bringing my oldest home from the hospital like it was yesterday–sitting in the backseat while my husband drove because I was nervous about him being back there all alone, eh was so tiny… and now he’s 5 and in Kindergarten?!

• Reply jessica September 11, 2015 at 11:35 pm

Your daughter looks just like you! I too was thrilled last year when 2 out of 3 of my kids went to school…This year, I felt the same way. I do not know how it will be when I send my son off. I have been contemplating on homeschooling him…I worry that his teacher(s) will not pay him any mind to his food allergies and asthma….We will see when that time comes. Love this post.

• Reply Kelly September 14, 2015 at 3:12 pm

Amen! I as very excited for my son to go back to preschool. Could be because I’m 38 weeks pregnant but still, he needs the socialization and different environment. He only goes 4 hours 3 days a week, but it’s a good break for mommy too!

• Reply Marielle September 14, 2015 at 10:26 pm

My kids aren’t old enough for school yet (as a matter of fact, one is still cooking in my belly), but I know I will feel this exact same way. I know I’ll be sad too, but I’m already counting down the days until they go to school and get to start experiencing life outside of their routine with me!

• Reply aaronica (the crunchy mommy) September 14, 2015 at 10:40 pm

yes!!! i love this! i’m not sad either… quite glad to be honest. i had some anxiety in the beginning but my girl is so adaptable and amazing! she’s having the greatest time which makes me so happy!

• Reply Lorinda September 15, 2015 at 2:19 am

This is great! It’s true to be excited for them and although my little guy won’t start school till next year, I know I will be sad and scared (becuase of his medical condition), but excited to see him start a new chapter in his life, growing, learning and developing.

• Reply Jaclyn September 15, 2015 at 8:20 am

I know I’ll be a little sad, but I cannot wait for my son to go to school! His daycare works on letters and numbers, which he is seriously soaking up like a sponge. I can’t wait for him to get so much for knowledge!

• Reply Amanda @ Green Tea + Cotton September 15, 2015 at 4:30 pm

Great post! Even though we homeschool, the first day of school marks pure excitement for me. Text books, paper, pencils, the works. Most of all it is a symbol that my kids are growing up. It is my reminder to enjoy any time I have with them.

Wishing your children a fantastic school year and you are right…you’ll still be there just like you always were!

• Reply Alisha September 15, 2015 at 5:17 pm

What a great perspective! You’re right, as moms or parents, we’ve been there all along & just because they’re in school doesn’t mean that we aren’t still there for them. It’s just a slight shift in how we do it!

• Reply Jen @ Living in His Way September 15, 2015 at 8:41 pm

I love this and feel exactly the same way! My oldest started pre school this year after basically never bring away from me and it has been so amazing for both of us. I miss her, but I know it’s so good for her. I always loved school too… probably. Why I became a teacher!

• Reply Paige September 16, 2015 at 6:55 am

I have been checking out pre-schools as we speak. My son will be 4 in November…and since he has a late birthday, I didn’t rush to start him this year. I didn’t feel like I was ready…and boy, not only was i wrong, but I realize now how selfish that was for me. HE is so ready. He is old enough now that he notices all of his friends starting, and he sees all of the “excitement” of “back to school” being advertised. I simply cannot wait to see him flourish next year. πŸ™‚

• Reply jessica glaze September 16, 2015 at 1:00 pm

You are just the best. Half of me feels the same way, I am really excited for Carter and I know she will do great. Love you friend.

• Reply Lisa Gegolick September 16, 2015 at 8:59 pm

I just love this post! I don’t have school-aged children get bit I agree with everything you said so much that I think I might be the same when the day comes! Great outlook on such an exciting chapter of your kids’ lives.

• Reply Misty Blue September 16, 2015 at 9:50 pm

They’re just so cute!! I don’t know how this feels, or how I’ll feel when Brynn goes. But I wasnt sad for her first day of daycare, and I have let her go overnight at her nanny’s and such for so long.. I firmly believe it takes a village to raise a child and you clearly love and trust your village

• Reply Tamara September 16, 2015 at 11:13 pm

I am with you, I am so not sad that my daughter started preschool. I knew she would thrive in it, that she needed to go. She is loving every minute of it and often doesn’t want to leave.

• Reply sylvie September 17, 2015 at 11:38 pm

I think when my little guy gets to your sweet kiddos’ ages, I will be cheering for him on his first day. It’s easy to get emotional about our kids getting older and venturing off into the unknowns of school, but there is so much awesomeness that happens at this time – new friends, new lessons, and lots of new memories that help shape who they become. Amazing post, mama!

• Reply Keisha September 22, 2015 at 3:57 pm

i loved this post! Very honest and true xx