• Decor / Decorating Tips / Nurseries

Pretty In Pink Nursery

Pretty In Pink Baby Girl Nursery

We were ecstatic when we found out we were having a little girl! My entire life, I had dreamed about having a daughter, especially a girly-girl kind of daughter! This was a dream come true: our first child and my first daughter!

I knew right away that I wanted something pretty and pink for her nursery! Something that was girl-ish but not necessarily baby-ish.

Pretty In Pink Baby Girl Nursery
    There were two very important factors for me when designing this space:

1. I had to enjoy it!
    As with any space in my home, I knew I’d be spending alot of time in my daughters nursery, so I wanted to make sure that the design was something that I enjoyed. What I’m really trying to say is that I didn’t want to make the room too “kid-ish.” Know what I mean? I like pretty and elegant things and so why wouldn’t I want that reflected in the nursery as well? Monkeys, rainbows and Dora all have their place in life (and believe me, they all have a place in my daughter’s life now!) but I didn’t want to imagine myself swinging on vines with the monkeys while nursing my daughter in her room!

2. It had to grow with her.
    I knew I’d be spending a decent amount of money on this space and therefore I wasn’t prepared for her to tell me in a few years that she no longer liked it. Rather, I wanted a space that could grow with her, well into her teen years. Something that would be classic in design aesthetic for years to come but something that was also “current.”

Pretty In Pink Baby Girl Nursery

So with that tall order, I set out to find the perfect pieces. Well guess what? It’s alot harder to find unique non-animal/cupcake print bedding then I thought! I searched all the local stores and couldn’t find anything that I liked. So I started looking online. Even still, it proved to be challenging to find something that wasn’t filled with animals, tv characters or cupcakes.

Finally, I stumbled upon Sweet Jojo Designs and found our incredible bedding! I fell in love as soon as I saw it, knowing that this would be the jumping off point for the room design.

Note: What I also loved about this bedding was that it was available in full/queen size as well, so in keeping with my 2nd important factor of growing with my baby, it was the perfect fit for us!

Next, I knew I wanted a chandelier! I mean what girly-girl room is complete without a chandelier?! Again, searching high and low, I finally found the perfect one at HomeDepot.ca.

Pretty In Pink Baby Girl Nursery

We have moved three times since this nursery was first built and we have taken the chandelier with each move! And in each new home, we’ve re-constructed the same room, for our now 5 year old girl!

I shopped at HomeSense to fill the room with the rest of the fabulous decor! One thing I wanted to mention here is that when you are shopping for specific decor pieces, don’t let color throw you off. Color can almost always be changed. If you find a fabulous piece that you love, but it’s green and you wanted red, let your imagination roam and figure out if you can repaint it to the color you want. The candle sconces, the mirror and the wrought iron metal piece above her crib were all different colors! But I could see what they would look like spray painted black! So that’s what my hubby did and I’m so happy with how they turned out!

Finally, we selected the color of pink that we thought best matched the bedding and went to town painting both wall and ceiling! I love the idea of a painted ceiling…it makes the room feel cozier and takes the design quite literally from floor to ceiling! We did beadboard for the lower half of the walls, painted in black and then white trim to separate the two spaces on the walls.

Pretty In Pink Baby Girl Nursery

Overall, we were so happy with how it turned out! Like I said above, our daughter is now 5 years old and we’ve moved to two other homes since. And in each home, we’ve recreated this similar look. We have lightened the pink paint color overtime to a softer pink and we eventually did buy the full size bedding for her convertible crib bed! She absolutely still loves it and whenever her little girlfriends come over to play they always say “Wow! I LOVE your room!”

Thank you for reading all about our nursery makeover! I hope you’ve been inspired for your next room renovation! Try and do something a little bit different from the norm when it comes to design. If you can’t find it in a store, look online. You’ll be surprised at what you can find!

• Reply Jaclyn Kent May 13, 2015 at 10:21 am

So happy to have you on the blog! 🙂

• Reply Christine May 13, 2015 at 11:47 am

Thank you so much for having me! Such an honor! xox

• Reply Sarah Beth May 13, 2015 at 10:48 am

Very classic. It reminds me of Tiffany’s or Audrey Hepburn.

• Reply Christine May 13, 2015 at 11:48 am

And don’t we just love Audrey, right?! High praise Sarah! Thank you for stopping by! xox

• Reply Chelsee May 13, 2015 at 11:47 am

Okay this is seriously the most beautiful nursery for a girl. I love the chandelier!

• Reply Christine May 13, 2015 at 11:52 am

Awe! Thank you Chelsee! And the chandelier is kinda the “piece de resistance” in there! I love it so much! xox

• Reply Christine May 13, 2015 at 11:55 am

LOVE the chandelier. I wish I would’ve done that for my little girl but she just has a regular light 🙁 The pink color is AWESOME too! Glad she can grow into this room – i think that is really important!

<3 The Choosy Mommy from http://www.choosykids.blogspot.com

• Reply Cassandra May 13, 2015 at 12:06 pm

If I could have done a nursery for my daughters this would have been it hands down! Hoping when we decide to have baby #3 I will finally be able to set up an adorable nursery!

• Reply Christine May 14, 2015 at 8:33 am

Thank you Cassandra! And yes, here’s hoping you finally get that dream nursery! xox

• Reply Elizabeth May 13, 2015 at 12:55 pm

I’m right there with Christine. I absolutely love that chandelier. It’s elegant and classic and fun all at the same time. And it’s AWESOME that your daughter still loves her room! You’ve got mad skills to have been able to create such a timeless design for her just from knowing her in the womb. Good job!

• Reply Christine May 14, 2015 at 8:34 am

Awe thank you Elizabeth! It was so fun and yes, I’m so glad she still loves it! Just had a feeling she would be a girly girl like her momma! xox

• Reply Brooke Knipp May 13, 2015 at 3:20 pm

You went ALL IN. And it worked! So adorable. I was not expecting to be a “pink” person. Then my first daughter was born at 29 weeks, so little and sweet and she was just PINK to me (not literally, although kind of). You know?

• Reply Christine May 14, 2015 at 8:35 am

I totally know! Leah screams pink all the time and I just love it! xox

• Reply Justine Y @ Little Dove Creations May 13, 2015 at 5:18 pm

I really like it, and I totally agree with your two points! I love being in my kids’ rooms and they are spaces that they can grow into as well! Thanks for sharing your pretty space with us!

• Reply Christine May 14, 2015 at 8:36 am

My pleasure Justine! Thanks for stopping by! xox

• Reply Marilyn May 13, 2015 at 10:06 pm

Seeing as I was just in her room… I am so impressed with the longevity of all the pieces! Good job!

• Reply Christine May 14, 2015 at 8:36 am

Thanks friend! I need to post recent pictures of what her room looks like now! xox

• Reply Angie May 13, 2015 at 11:51 pm

Again, brilliant! Love, love, love! Now I just need the baby girl so I can do this too lol.

• Reply Christine May 14, 2015 at 8:37 am

Thank you Angie! Means alot to have you come by again and love what we are doing here! xox

• Reply Shelah May 14, 2015 at 10:44 am

Wow, it looks amazing! It won’t need to be changed as she gets older, it already looks sophisticated.

• Reply Christine May 14, 2015 at 3:14 pm

Thank you Shelah! That’s exactly what we were trying to accomplish! xox

• Reply Kim M May 14, 2015 at 6:58 pm

I love this room! I am all boys here so Im drowning in blues, cars and nerf guns. Seeing all this pink makes me smile. Its beautiful and classic.

• Reply Christine May 15, 2015 at 12:12 pm

Thanks Kim! Have you posted your boys rooms? I need to work on mine next and I’m still struggling to find the perfect theme! xox