I have a confession to make: I don’t enjoy cooking. Yikes…there it is! I said it. It was time I came clean and admitted it for the world to know that I just don’t like to cook.
Now, let me explain a few things. For starters, you should know by now that I’m a big time foodie! I LOVE food. I have a deep appreciation for many types of foods and am willing to try just about any new cuisine. I enjoy grocery shopping for food, I enjoy stocking the fridge neatly with the food, I enjoy eating the food, I even enjoy cleaning up after the food. But the one thing I don’t enjoy is cooking the food.
And here’s why: Growing up, I was never really taught how to cook. My mom graciously did all of the cooking while I was often off doing something else. My love for food really began once I met my now husband back in college. I can remember when he got me to try sushi for the first time and I gagged after putting the first roll in my mouth – true story! I can remember trying Indian food with him and falling in love with it. Guacamole was also a first time experience with Chris and I couldn’t get enough of it (still can’t actually).
My love affair with food started long after I likely should have been learning to cook and that’s likely why my interest in cooking never took shape. My Dad used to often joke with me and say “Well, you better marry a chef cause you don’t know how to cook anything!”
Well ladies and gentleman, dreams do come true!
While I don’t love to cook, my husband thankfully does. He not only likes cooking, he LOVES cooking! And let me tell you another secret – he’s REALLY good at it! He just has this innate understanding for how ingredients work together and is constantly coming up with new ideas of food pairings that I would just never think of. I’m GREAT at following a recipe – but this guy – he invents his own all the time and I’m left just wondering how on earth he knew it would all work together!
And that leads us to today’s recipe – this Simple Sun Dried Tomato Cannelloni is perfection! I mean the flavours just melt in your mouth and leave you wanting more.
While I’ve talked before about growing up eating Saputo cheese, I had never actually tried Saputo Ricotta cheese until now and let me tell you, it’s a soft cheese that is whipped to perfection and perfect for this kind of recipe!
Chris has worked long and hard to bring you this new family favourite, so I hope you enjoy and make some for your own family!
Simple Sun Dried Tomato Cannelloni
- 1 1/2 containers Saputo ricotta cheese 475 g. each
- 3/4 cup finely chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 cup minced sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil
- 1 1/2 tbsp oil from sun dried tomatoes
- 1 cup grated parmesan
- 1 egg
- 1 clove of garlic crushed
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 4 cans diced san marzano tomatoes
- 3-4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh basil
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1 box oven ready Cannelloni tubes
- 1 125g mozzarella ball sliced
- Place tomatoes in a sauté pan and bring to a boil. Allow tomatoes to boil until the liquid is reduced by 1/2. Once the liquid has reduced add the minced garlic and the basil and continue cooking for 2 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste and then your sauce is done… simple and delicious!2. While the tomatoes simmer, begin making the filling…. Start by beating the egg and then mixing it with the Parmesan cheese. Stir the Parmesan and eggs mixture into the ricotta. Once they are thoroughly combined, add the remaining ingredients and mix it all well3. Filling the tubes can be a bit tricky and this is the most time consuming part… the easiest method is to use a piping bag or some type of makeshift piping tool. You can also stuff them by pressing the filling in with a spatula. 4. Once the tubes are filled, place them in an oven safe dish and completely cover them with the simple tomato sauce you made. Slice the mozzarella balls into slabs and place them on top.5. Place in the oven and cook for 30 to 35 minutes (if the top browns too fast, cover the dish with tinfoil). Once you take it out of the oven, let the dish stand for a few minutes before serving.
Well there you have it friends, one of our new favourite family recipes to make using one of our new favourite Saputo cheeses! It’s simple, it’s delicious and it’s sure to please even your pickiest eaters!
Note: This post was sponsored by Saputo. All thoughts are 100% my own.