You are in for a treat today! Not only am I bringing you one of my all-time favorite slow cooker recipes, I’m bringing you a SECOND recipe for a spice blend!
As much as I love bringing you original recipes, there are times, where I’ve fallen in love with someone else’s recipe and I just have to share it with you. That is today’s slow cooker recipe. I found this while cruising Pinterest awhile back and thought I would give it a try. It was sooo good and sooo healthy and EVERYONE in the family ate it, no complaints (we all know how huge THAT is!) that it’s honestly become a go-to recipe for me. I have tweaked a couple of things, but mostly, the recipe is in it’s original form. It’s just THAT good that it doesn’t need tweaking! It’s originally from Chelsea’s Messy Apron and her site is just filled with fabulous recipes!
So let’s get to it! I know we are coming into the summer season and you might be thinking that soup is an odd choice. But let me tell you this: I personally do not want to be slaving over a hot stove after a long and fun day out in the sun! Nor do I want my oven raising the temperature in my house! I find that I use my crockpot alot in the summer because I can set it and forget it and have an awesome home cooked meal waiting for us after an afternoon in the sun! Whether it’s soup or stew or some kind of meat, I do not care! As long as it did the cooking for me, I’m game!
This recipe is so easy to make, where you literally just pile the ingredients into the slow cooker, all uncooked and walk away! It’s also VERY healthy, which is another reason why I love it so much! It’s almost a cross between a soup and a stew because it’s so chunky that it becomes quite thick in consistency. For the baby, I simply just pull out the chunks of sweet potato, chicken and black beans and he loves picking away at it! Honestly, our pickest eater inhales this, no questions asked!
- 1 and 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 1 can (15.25 ounces) black beans
- 1 can (28 fl ounces) diced tomatoes
- 2-3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 packet (1.25 ounces) chili seasoning mix
- 1 packet stevia
- 5 cups chicken broth
- Optional: fresh parsley, green onions, plain yogurt or sour cream
- Spray the slow cooker with nonstick spray. Place the chicken breasts into the slow cooker along with the quinoa.
- Peel and chop the sweet potatoes into cubes adding them into the slow cooker.
- Drain and rinse the black beans and add those in. Add in the undrained diced tomatoes, minced garlic, chili seasoning mix, and chicken broth.
- Place on high for 3-5 hours (It took 4 hours on high for my crockpot.)
- Once cooked, remove the chicken breasts and cut into a dice. Then place them back into the slow cooker and stir everything well.
- Taste the soup and add in any additional seasonings to adjust the flavor to your liking. This is when I add in the stevia and usually some salt.
- Garnish with fresh parsley or chopped green onions.
- Serve with a dollop of plain yogurt or sour cream and enjoy!
- I add in a packet of stevia to help cut the acidity of the tomatoes. Stevia is a natural sweetener so it helps keep this recipe clean and healthy!
- To help cool down the soup (especially for the kids), I serve it with a big scoop of plain yogurt. You can also use sour cream, just note, plain yogurt is healthier and I promise you won't notice a difference!
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- Add all of the ingredients to a bowl and stir to combine.
- Store in an air-tight container, away from heat and moisture for up to six months.
[Tweet “Slow Cooker Sweet Potato & Quinoa Soup PLUS Homemade Chili Seasoning! #amidstthechaos”]
Love & Blessings,