When starting to plan my son’s 2nd birthday party, it was a very quick decision to make the theme all things Paw Patrol! My little guy is absolutely obsessed with the show and so I knew that he would be thrilled to see his favorite characters sprawled all over our home, in honor of his celebration!

paw patrol birthday partyLike many of the parties that I throw, I always like to figure out ways that I can be creative and not just off-the-shelf-out-of-the-bag-tape-and-hang party decor (if you know what I mean). This does usually mean that I go to about 1,000 stores (ok, maybe not quite that many, but it sure feels like it!) to find exactly what I’m looking for.

What I knew was that I wanted all things DOGS! From paw prints to dog bones, if it looked like something a dog would love, I wanted it!

paw patrol birthday party

I was specifically looking for paper with paw prints, dog bowls (in coordinating colors) and a dog bone cookie cutter. Not sure why these items were so tough to find, but I was determined and found them all!

paw patrol birthday party

Using the wrapping paper, I was able to make a table cloth for the top of the table as well as water bottle wrappers. We used the dog bowls to hold the “Puppy Chow”, made with Chex cereal, melted chocolate chipits, butter and powdered sugar (we omitted the traditional peanut butter to avoid peanut allergies). I then used the cookie cutter to make dog bone shaped rice krispies! How fun, right?!

Paw Patrol Birthday Party

For the backdrop, I found this incredible blue sky and cloud backdrop at Michaels. I actually had no idea that they sold backdrops like this, but they do and they are very well priced (don’t forget that 40% off coupon you can find online).

For all the other decor items, I looked around the home and found items that I could incorporate into this tablescape. Take some wire baskets and turn them upside down to create a raised platform. A step stool can quickly become a display piece on your table. Or a marquee light that was on the wall can be taken down and used for this special occasion. And don’t forget to round up whatever toys you have in your parties theme and use them to bring the characters to life in your display!

paw patrol birthday party

I think the part I was most proud of though, was the two-tiered cake I made, FROM SCRATCH! Cake making is a talent I’ve longed to be able to master and yet something I’ve seriously struggled with. You can check out my lop-sided disaster at Jude’s 1st birthday last year.

paw patrol birthday party

So I’ve spent the last six months watching countless YouTube tutorials on how to make and ice the perfect cake. I’ve even tried to learn how to master fondant icing…something I’ve been scared of for years!

Feeling like the time was finally right, I took the plunge and made the cakes! For starters, I will say that I will NEVER EVER again buy a cake box mix. The recipe I used (which I will share in a later post/series on how ANYONE can make cakes), was seriously made with all ingredients I already had at home and honestly tasted incredible!

paw patrol birthday partyWorking with the fondant was actually so incredibly EASY! I honestly don’t know why I’ve been scared of it for so many years. It’s kind of playing with play-doh! And I can’t believe how incredible the cake looked when it was all finished. Sure, I’m no where near the pro’s but for my first “official” cake, I was pretty proud of how it turned out!

paw patrol birthday party I didn’t have a ton of activities planned so I wanted to make sure that we did at least one craft. Plus, I’m also a big believer in kids making something at a party that they can then take home as their party favor! Call me cheap or call me a genius…but who really needs all those little toys that the kids are going to just throw away?!

Ok, back to the craft. I came up with the idea of making Marshall’s fire hat, with adding big white, felt ears. I actually called up the Pickering Fire Department and asked them if they had any hats to give to us. They were so wonderful and gave us hats in all kinds of colors, including stickers and coloring books!

paw patrol birthday party

The kids colored the ears and then got to glue on the black felt spots to complete Marshall’s fire hat! Aren’t they just the cutest?!

Paw Patrol Birthday Party

Well, that’s a wrap folks! Another year gone, another birthday celebrated! How are you celebrating your kids birthday? Do you have a theme picked out? Let me know in the comments below!

21 Comments on Paw Patrol Birthday Party

1. Kourtney
    March 25, 2016 at 8:33 am (12 months ago)

Wow! This party is amazing! That table is super adorable, and the puppy chow bowl is my favorite part 🙂 I bet he loved it!

August 8, 2016 at 12:45 pm (8 months ago)

Thank you. He loved the party and everyone loved the puppy chow. An all time favorite.

2. Jo-Anne
    March 25, 2016 at 9:25 am (12 months ago)

Great party. The theme was perfect for Jude. Loved every aspect of the decor/food/craft. Not to mention, you did an amazing job with the cake. You are simply amazing.

3. elle schott
    March 25, 2016 at 9:47 am (12 months ago)

this is the cutest party theme i have ever seen for boys!

August 8, 2016 at 12:43 pm (8 months ago)

Thank you. All the kids loved it.

4. Leah Herring
    March 25, 2016 at 10:22 am (12 months ago)

Oh my goodness, that is the cutest! My daughter would go crazy for a Paw Patrol party!

5. Jessica Kirk
    March 25, 2016 at 12:52 pm (12 months ago)

This is great! My two boys LOVE Paw Patrol. I set it up on Nick Jr. to have Chase call them on their birthdays to wish them a Happy Birthday.

August 8, 2016 at 12:42 pm (8 months ago)

Thank you. What a fantastic idea to have Chase call.

6. Shann Eva
    March 25, 2016 at 4:07 pm (12 months ago)

Super cute! I love doing theme parties for my boys too. The craft with the hat/ears was adorable, and your cake looked fantastic. I also loved the rice crispy dog bones!

7. Erin H
    March 26, 2016 at 7:40 am (12 months ago)

Soooo many awesome details and elements to this party! The cake looks ridiculous! Definitely looks professionally done or from a store.

8. Diedre
    May 2, 2016 at 12:58 pm (11 months ago)

I’m not really a DIY person, but you made this look so easy. My girls love Paw Patrol, so this may be a future theme. I love how you think outside the box!

August 8, 2016 at 1:10 pm (8 months ago)

Thank you and it was easy to put together.

9. becca carlson
    May 18, 2016 at 8:37 pm (10 months ago)

Hi there! I am in the midst of planning my daughter’s PP party and I too hate the o ut-of-the-bag party sets they sell at the big box store. Can I ask where you got the cloud backdrop or how you made it? Great party Mama, love seeing the pics for inspo!

August 9, 2016 at 10:33 pm (8 months ago)

Hey Becca,
      Sorry for my late response. Not sure if the party has already passed or not, but the backdrop is from Michaels. They have all sorts of large, paper backdrops to choose from!

• Sara
        August 19, 2016 at 3:23 pm (7 months ago)

I’m having a tough time tracking down the backdrop on Michael’s website, and when I called 2 stores, they both said they don’t have backdrops. So is the paper marketed as something else? I searched butcher paper online, but still nothing. If by any chance you still have the packaging for it or could find it online and type out the exact name, that would be great!

August 29, 2016 at 4:02 pm (7 months ago)

Hi Sara,
          I had to do a little digging because I don’t actually have the packaging anymore. But I definitely did buy it at Michaels. It’s called Pacon Fadeless Designs Paper Roll in “Clouds”. So it’s not technically a backdrop, it’s like a very large roll of wrapping paper (but thicker). I found it in the kids crafts section, along the wall. They had various designs to choose from and the clouds fit perfectly with the Paw Patrol theme. I should note, I am in Canada, so the selection might be different. However, that being said, I did just find it on the Michaels US site (not sure where you are located). Furthermore, when you search the exact name in Google, it shows that it’s available on various websites like Amazon, Walmart, Wayfair, etc. Hope this helps!

• Sara
            September 15, 2016 at 8:21 pm (6 months ago)

Thank you SO much!

10. Kristin
    September 21, 2016 at 1:32 pm (6 months ago)

What size bone cookie cutter did you use I’m having a hard time. I ordered one from Amazon for $4.00 3 inches it is so tiny very disappointing. My daughters party is in November

September 28, 2016 at 7:03 am (6 months ago)

Hi Kristin,
      I’m not exactly sure what the size was, as I can’t find the cutter right now. But 3-4 inches sounds about right. I got mine from Michael’s so maybe check there for a bigger size!

11. Kim
    October 17, 2016 at 11:31 pm (5 months ago)

Amazing ! I’m doing the same theme for my son these ideas helped a lot. I was wondering where you bought the dog bowls ?

November 13, 2016 at 7:21 am (4 months ago)

Thanks Kim. The dog bowls were purchased at the Dollar Tree.