• Decor / Living Room

Living Room Makeover: One Room Challenge Week 1

I can’t believe the time is finally here and we are once again participating in the One Room Challenge!

If you remember, we participated twice in 2016, first with our boys room makeover and then with our master bedroom makeover. We tried to participate in 2017, but both times the challenge came up, we just couldn’t make it work with our schedules. We still ended up transforming two spaces last year though: the office and our daughter’s bedroom.

This time around I’m SO excited to reveal that we will be transforming our LIVING ROOM!

I’m going to wait until next week to show you the “before” space and tell you about all the “problems” in the room. But let me tell you this much: this has probably been the MOST challenging room I’ve ever had in a home of mine! Without exaggeration, I think I’ve reconfigured the space six times in less than four years. When you see the space next week you will gain a better understanding of why it’s so challenging and also why I was really hesitant to want to make it over. We are very limited in what we can do in there but I *think* we have a wonderful, eclectic design figured out and I can’t wait to get started on it!

But here’s the honest truth – as I’ve sifted through loads of decor magazines, Pinterest and design blogs over the last number of years, I find myself feeling overwhelmed by all the awesomeness out there. I’ve pinned hundreds, if not thousands of jaw-dropping, award winning rooms in homes and imagined myself in those spaces.

But the reality is that those kind of spaces require lots and lots and lots…did I say lots?…of money! It also requires children to NOT jump on furniture, write on walls and destroy every cushion with their latest marker explosion. While I LOVE to have a beautiful looking home and create nicely designed spaces, I also know that money doesn’t grow on trees and we have three young children living here.

So this time around, working with an odd space that likely many people are faced with, and trying to design a co-space (ok, I’m giving you a big hint at one of the issues with this space here) that kids can also be in and trying to stick to a conservative budget, I am excited to show you how you too can makeover a space in your home with similar challenges.

Let me talk you through our inspiration for the space. I actually have no clue what to call this design aesthetic that I’m going for other than “eclectic.” I really do love pieces from so many different design styles that I don’t feel I can ever stick to just one look. So in this space there will be some modern, some traditional, some boho, some mid century..really a mix of it all.

There will be soft layers, hard stones, natural fabrics, shiny metals, woven textures, leafy greens and more! I’m going for all the things I love and crossing my fingers that when it’s done, it will look fabulous!

Stay tuned for the next six weeks and see how we makeover this space!

• Reply Andi April 4, 2018 at 11:41 am

I am so excited to see what you do! I am loving your design board (I, too, like a mix of styles) and I can’t wait to see how everything comes together. Good luck!

• Reply Lidia April 5, 2018 at 9:53 am

Christine!!! I totally get awkward spaces, oh the stories I could tell you about my house. But I have no doubt it will look fabulous and I can’t wait to see it! (Don’t you wish you could fast forward these next few weeks? LOL) xo

• Reply Becky @ Daly Digs April 5, 2018 at 12:24 pm

Oooo fun, can’t wait to follow along!

• Reply Jessica April 5, 2018 at 8:26 pm

Love the plan! Now I’m very intrigued about what your “before” pictures will be.

• Reply Jude April 6, 2018 at 4:06 pm

So excited to see this unfolding! Love your plans so far. I’m joining in with ORC for the first time 🙂

• Reply Christine April 19, 2018 at 3:39 pm

Yay! So fun! I think you will love doing the challenge and meeting tons of new design bloggers!

• Reply Meghan April 6, 2018 at 11:27 pm

Chris and Christine?! So adorable! We’re Meghan and Marco! I love your vision for your space!!! We are making over our mudroom for the ORC! Best of luck to you!!!

Meghan

• Reply Christine April 19, 2018 at 3:40 pm

Hi Guys! Nice to meet you! Thank you and we are going to go check out your space!

• Reply tim@designmaze April 7, 2018 at 6:15 am

Loving the coral pink and cobalt blue with brass accent. one fab living room coming up in 6 weeks!

• Reply Christine April 19, 2018 at 3:42 pm

Thanks Tim! I am pretty excited to see it all come together too!

• Reply Rachel April 9, 2018 at 11:07 pm

Can’t wait to see the oddities of the room next week! I’m sure there are lots of mamas out there struggling with the same things and you’ll be an awesome inspiration. 🙂

• Reply Christine April 19, 2018 at 3:42 pm

hah! Ya it’s a weird space for sure!

• Reply Amanda April 10, 2018 at 9:59 pm

I love all of your inspiration! That rug is seriously beautiful.

• Reply Marlene @ Idle Hands Awake April 11, 2018 at 10:19 pm

I LOVE the direction you are going with here! Can’t wait to see the before, you have piqued my curiosity. I am all too familiar with awkward spaces (New England is full of old, never-renovated homes with truly bizarre layouts). And I love that you are going to show us how to create a space that is designed to be LIVEABLE! Those magazine images are gorgeous, but, come on, we all have coffee cups and device cords and toys (cat toys in my case). Can’t wait to see what you do!

• Reply Christine April 19, 2018 at 3:43 pm

Haha! EXACTLY! That is my hope to be able to show a beautiful but practical living space! Stay tuned!