It’s February…the month of love and that means that Valentine’s Day is right around the corner!
We are about to head south for a few weeks of family-filled fun in the sun, but before we do, I wanted to share with you these super sweet, super easy and super Valentine’s pink heart shaped marshmallows and homemade hot chocolate!
My kids absolutely love hot chocolate with marshmallows and yet I find that I never have any on hand. Recently, I decided that it probably wasn’t that hard to make these at home and figured I most likely had all the ingredients on hand.
Sure enough, I did! And within no time flat, we had some delicious and uber cute homemade pink heart shaped marshmallows and hot chocolate!
So instead of buying the mix in bulk or big bag of marshmallows, I encourage you to try these yourself! Add in a few drops of red food coloring and use heart shaped cut-outs to make this a truly Valentine’s Day treat!
- 3 packages (1/4-ounce each) unflavored gelatin
- 1 cup cool water, divided
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Powdered sugar, to sprinkle
- 2-5 drops red food coloring
- Coat a 9x13 glass baking dish with nonstick spray and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- In the Kitchenaid mixer bowl, combine the gelatin and 1/2 cup cool water. Let soak about 10 minutes.
- In a small, deep saucepan, combine the sugar, corn syrup, salt, and 1/2 cup cool water. Cook the mixture over medium heat, stirring, until the sugar completely dissolves. Raise the heat to high and bring to a rapid boil. Allow to boil, without stirring, for 1 minute. Remove from the heat.
- Using a Kitchenaid mixer (or hand mixer) slowly pour the sugar syrup into the gelatin. Increase the speed to high, and whip until the mixture is very thick and fluffy, about 10 minutes. Add in the vanilla at the end and beat to incorporate. Add 2-5 drops of red food coloring, depending how dark you want it, and incorporate.
- Pour the marshmallow mixture into the baking dish and spread evenly using a greased spatula. Sprinkle additional powdered sugar over the top, and place in the refrigerator, uncovered, for at least 3 hours (or overnight) before cutting.
- Use a greased cookie cutter to make heart shapes and gently separate. Place heart shaped marshmallows in a bowl with 1/4 cup powdered sugar and gently toss to coat them on all sides. Shake off any excess.
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup water
- 4 cups milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- In a saucepan mix the dry ingredients.
- Add the water and bring to a boil, keep boiling for approximately one minute.
- You can then add the milk directly into the pan and heat until desired temperature. Or if you have a milk steamer, steam milk separately and then add into the chocolate mixture.
- Take off the heat and add the vanilla. Stir, serve and enjoy!
I’m excited to be looping up again with some of my favorite Canadian home, decor and lifestyle bloggers for a Canadian Bloggers Valentine’s Day Hop! There are 24 other amazing Valentine’s Day inspired recipes, decor and DIY for you to check out! Trust me, they are all fabulous! Head below to visit each of their blogs for some crazy inspiration!
Heart Shaped Pizzas for Valentine’s Day by Jo-Anna of A Pretty Life
Blood Orange Limoncello Cocktail for Valentine’s Day by Tara of Suburble
Ombre Cake Makeover from a Grocery Store Cake by Colleen of Lemon Thistle
Valentine’s Popcorn by Janella of Ma Belle Vie
“Warm Heart” Hand Warmers by Sarah of Flourish & Knot
Valentine’s Day Embroidery Projects by Heather of Home to Heather
Valentine’s Candy Inspired Table Setting by Andrea of Personally Andrea
Valentine Heart Strawberry Pop Tarts by Jen of Kitchen Counter Chronicles
Valentine’s Day Date Night In Gift Basket Idea by Christina of The DIY Mommy
Valentine’s Day Chocolate Chunk Skillet Cookies by Shauna of Satori Design for Living
Felt Valentine’s Day Cards by Alex of Northstory
Lovey Dovey Vegan Chocolate Bark by Joann of Woman in Real Life
Valentine’s Day Wall Hanging by Thalita of The Learner Observer
DIY Valentine String Art by Tash of The Dreamhouse Project
Fluffy Valentine Sugar Cookies by Kendra of Joy In Our Home
Easy DIY Valentine’s Wreath by Laurie of VinYet ETC
Raspberry Pie Mousse Cups by Daniela of Lifeovereasy
Valentine’s Day Breakfast by Dannyelle of Life is a Party
Valentine’s Mantel by Jen of Rambling Renovators
Boyfriend Bouquet | Floating Heart Terrarium by Cynthia of Cynthia Zamaria
Embroidery Hoop Valentine Art by Christine of The DIY Dreamer
“You & Me” Wood Sign by Lindi of Love Create Celebrate
Chocolate and Coconut Coated Heart Mini-Cakes by Jane and Sonja of Sustain My Craft Habit
DIY String Heart Wall Hanging by Melissa of The Sweet Escape
Heart Shaped Marshmallows for Valentine’s Day by Christine of Amidst the Chaos