• Bedrooms / Decor / DIY

Master Bedroom Makeover Reveal ORC

IT’S HERE!!!

We’ve journeyed together for the last SIX weeks and today is REVEAL DAY for our Master Bedroom Makeover that we’ve been doing for the One Room Challenge. If you missed any of the weeks, make sure to catch up before you read on and see where we came from and how we got here!

Week 1 | Week 2 | Week 3 | Week 4 | Week 5

Now before we get to all the beautiful reveal pictures, let’s remember where we started. A very bleak and sad looking, unloved room.

one room challenge master bedroom

And here is what she looks like NOW!!!

master bedroom home tour one room challenge

Honestly, this room turned out BETTER than I ever expected it to. I was originally thinking it was going to have a more bold look to it, but as the weeks went on, it really took on a more subtle, pretty look to it.

I think what really influenced the space early on were the blush faux fur pillows. The minute I found those at the store, I knew this was the direction I wanted to take the room. And then the decisions just flowed easily from there.

The first thing to really set off the room was the color. We chose two colors: Out For A Stroll (white) and Trendsetting (Gray) from Para Paints. We’ve been working with Para all year and have absolutely loved the kind of paint that they produce. A beautiful thickness that makes application quite easy (with very little splatter) and very low fumes, which make it much more enjoyable to paint.

Master bedroom home tour one room challenge Master bedroom home tour one room challenge

Another piece that we painted was our dresser (as well as both nightstands). This dresser was black when we started. It’s a beautiful, solid wood dresser and I personally didn’t want to part with it. Hubby on the other hand, did. And the plan was that we would, in order to free up some space. We tried to source some ideas for building a built-in unit, but after much consideration, we decided to try our hand at painting it.

We discovered Krylon’s new line of chalky finish spray paints and decided to give it a shot, using the crisp white color. We were really pleased with the results (although it did require quite a few cans of spray paint). Typically when you paint furniture, you are always left with brush marks…whether you used a paint brush, roller or foam roller. But with spray paint, there are no lines. So the finish was quite nice. We sealed it off with their clear wax coat and a brand new piece of furniture was born!

Oh and I can’t forget the gorgeous glass knobs and drawer pulls that we used! I was swooning over these at the hardware store and knew that they would be the perfect addition to this new dresser!

Master bedroom home tour one room challenge

My husbands favorite space in our master bedroom is the reading nook. We found this beautiful chair from Ikea, along with the nesting tables and throws. The custom pillow is from Tonic Living and matches the long pillow on the bed. They also made the customs drapes, which I talked about last week. The drapes and pillows really tie the entire room together!

One of my most prized possessions (does that make me sound materialistic?!) is the Robert Abbey Scalloped Pendant light that I got from Wayfair. Let me tell you…I have been looking at this pendant light online for a few years with ALL the heart-eye emojis! The problem is, in Canada, there was no easy or cost-effective way to get it here. But now that Wayfair.ca has opened up for Canadians, gaining access to amazing decor that wasn’t available here before is so wonderful!

This light is what makes the room for me. When it first arrived, it took my breath away by it’s sheer size. I had no idea it was SO BIG. Because our ceilings aren’t extra high, we hung it more like a semi-flushmount and boy, does it ever look PERFECT in the space!

master bedroom home tour one room challenge

Another area that I love in this space is the vanity. We found this writing desk from Wayfair and knew it would be the perfect desk for a make-up vanity. We added this scalloped, rectangular mirror above for height and the mid-century modern chair for interest.

As you will notice in the room, using different textures was really important to us. We used everything from wood to concrete to faux fur to living plants! We also used a lot of shapely objects: the pendant light, the mirror, the headboard, even the fiddle leaf fig tree…this helped create a soft, whimsical feel to the room.

Let’s talk art for a minute. I fell in love with these succulent watercolor prints from HomeSense but the frames didn’t match. So I painted them white and then added mounting brackets on the edges, which I spray painted copper, to customize them for a more unique look.

master bedroom home tour one room challenge For the artwork above the bed, I knew I wanted a series of three pieces but really couldn’t find exactly what I was looking for. So I decided to try my hand at freestyling and painted these abstract pieces myself. Using simply bristol board from the dollar store and gray acrylic paint, I was able to create a totally unique art expression that cost me next to nothing.

master bedroom home tour one room challenge

Another amazing piece of art in the room is this beautiful, custom piece of agate from Jibe Prints. She was amazing to work with and was able to change the color to exactly what we needed. I love the size of the print and the way it contrasts the soft flowers right beside it.

master bedroom home tour one room challenge

master bedroom home tour one room challengeThe final thing I want to talk about in this master bedroom makeover is how we tried to lighten up the space with some quirky decor pieces. My husband and I are a bit quirky and definitely love to laugh a lot and have fun. This space could have gone very conservative so we decided to play up our personalities and bring some perhaps unusual pieces into the space to lighten it up.

My favorite pieces include: the glass head, the eyelashes and lips, the peace and thumbs up sculptures. Another piece that I love is the little blush unicorn, which I found at a thrift store and place into this DIY’d old domed clock. Get creative and think outside the box. If you love something that is quirky, GET IT! Your room will feel that much more like you in the end!

master bedroom home tour one room challenge master bedroom home tour one room challenge master bedroom home tour one room challenge master bedroom home tour one room challenge

master bedroom home tour one room challenge

Well my friends, there you have it! Our master bedroom transformation! This wouldn’t have been possible without our amazing sponsors! Thank you to all of them!

one room challenge sponsors

I also want to give a HUGE shout out to Laura Clarke Photography who took all of these AMAZING shots of the room! This was our first time working together and it’s safe to say, it won’t be our last!

master bedroom home tour one room challenge

I’ve also made a video to reveal the room, in case you didn’t see enough with the pictures! Enjoy my friends and if you love it, why not share it with some of your friends!

Make sure to come back Friday where you will be able to shop the looks in this room as well as hear what aspects of the room design that surprised me in both good and negative ways, along with the lessons I learned throughout this process!

• Reply Ariel November 9, 2016 at 10:16 am

looks great! Super feminine

• Reply Kathy November 9, 2016 at 10:28 am

oh goodness. this is way better than any hotel room. congratulations!!

• Reply Christine November 12, 2016 at 9:52 pm

Thanks Kathy. My mom said the exact same thing.

• Reply Tee @ Beauteeful Living November 9, 2016 at 11:27 am

Such a gorgeous transformation, Christine! Love all the furniture and decor in your bedroom. That large pendant and mirror are amazing! Sweet photo of you and your son!

• Reply Christine November 12, 2016 at 9:54 pm

Thank you so much. Must say that my son is becoming a natural at posing for pics/videos.

• Reply Kyla @HouseOfHipsters November 9, 2016 at 11:40 am

I adore your pillows and that art is the bomb dot com! Nailed it!

• Reply Dannyelle @www.lifeisaparty.ca November 9, 2016 at 12:51 pm

Looks amazing, you guys did such a great job. Oasis indeed.

• Reply Christine November 12, 2016 at 9:55 pm

Thanks Dannyelle. We are extremely happy with the results.

• Reply Cassie Bustamante November 9, 2016 at 1:08 pm

so beautiful! i love the art, and love the colors and metals you used! it’s chic and glamorous and soft and feminine, too!

• Reply Christine November 12, 2016 at 9:50 pm

Thank you so much Cassie. That was the look I was aiming for and we are extremely pleased with the final results.

• Reply Marilyn November 9, 2016 at 1:27 pm

Looks amazing….. I love it!!! Wow! The walls, art and dΓ©cor, colours…. amazing. Question about the self made art… does that reflect your family?… 1) Chris and Christine 2) 3 kids 3) M for Martin…. lol… just wondering.

Anyway, I love it and I’m inspired for the next time I get to design a space.

• Reply Christine November 12, 2016 at 9:57 pm

Thanks Marilyn. As for the art … it was initially just abstract but now that you have seen something through them, I think I will claim this as the story behind them .. LOL.

• Reply Amanda November 9, 2016 at 2:38 pm

This space looks incredibly fresh and oh so lovely. You’ve curated a beautiful oasis my friend, congratulations and bravo! πŸ‘πŸΌπŸ‘πŸΌπŸ‘πŸΌ

β™₯︎ Amanda of All That’s Darling

• Reply Christine November 12, 2016 at 9:49 pm

Thank you so much Amanda. My husband loves spending time reading (in ‘his’ wingback chair).

• Reply Amanda November 9, 2016 at 2:42 pm

Everything is so beautiful! I am in love! Those pink pillows are EVERYTHING.

• Reply Christine November 12, 2016 at 9:48 pm

Thanks Amanda. Gotta love the pillows.

• Reply Ruthie November 9, 2016 at 2:59 pm

What a beautiful transformation!! I love the color scheme and all the attention to detail! I really like the pop of color for all of your knobs and pulls!

• Reply Christine November 12, 2016 at 9:59 pm

Thanks Ruthie. Those knobs and pulls turned out great and I must say that I am very happy with the choice in color.

• Reply ashley@biggerthanthethreeofus November 9, 2016 at 3:44 pm

I adore all the artwork and that concrete lamp! Fab before/after!

• Reply Christine November 12, 2016 at 10:00 pm

Thank you so much Ashley.

• Reply {Erica}EverythingMomandBaby November 9, 2016 at 7:45 pm

I love it! We are doing our room too in our apartment. I love your colours. Beautiful.

• Reply Katy {ashadeofteal} November 9, 2016 at 9:00 pm

It’s so bright and fresh! The platform bed makes a huge difference. I love how it turned out.

• Reply Christine November 12, 2016 at 10:08 pm

Same here. Thanks Katy.

• Reply Maggie @ Maggie Overby Studios November 9, 2016 at 9:24 pm

Love your color combination and that wainscotting is fabulous!

• Reply Lindi November 9, 2016 at 10:20 pm

I don’t think my husband will ever let me put pink in the Master Bedroom, but now I’m going to beg him to! Lol. It looks amazing! You did a beautiful job!!

• Reply Christine November 13, 2016 at 9:38 pm

Thanks Lindi. It’s just a touch of pink. My husband loves the whole look.

• Reply Sarah November 9, 2016 at 10:20 pm

Such a beautiful transformation!! I love all the little details that really make it feel cozy and warm. I would totally steal this bedroom if I could!!

• Reply Christine November 12, 2016 at 9:46 pm

Thanks Sarah and too funny about the steal but feel free to use any ideas.

• Reply Erin @ Lemons, Lavender, & Laundry November 10, 2016 at 12:48 am

What a beautiful space. It’s so calming and serene. Perfect for a bedroom… And I love your advice on buying something quirky. Always good to have pieces that put a smile on your face πŸ™‚

• Reply Christine November 12, 2016 at 10:03 pm

Thanks Erin. I must say, I do have a smile on my face everything I walk in the room.

• Reply Jen @ Fresh Crush November 10, 2016 at 1:11 am

So many great touches! Love the pinky hues!

• Reply Krista November 10, 2016 at 1:45 am

This is so beautiful! I love it all – and the pillow fabric?! My favourite! I used that same print in my living room this summer. Fantastic job!

• Reply Christine November 12, 2016 at 9:45 pm

Thank you so much Krista.

• Reply Kasia November 10, 2016 at 2:56 am

OMG it’s gorgeous!!! The most beautiful bedroom I ever seen!!! Congratulations!

• Reply Besa GM November 10, 2016 at 8:35 am

What a beautiful and serene space! Gorgeous makover with great taouches and beautiful colours!

• Reply Christine November 12, 2016 at 9:35 pm

Thank you very much Besa.

• Reply Brittany Goldwyn November 10, 2016 at 9:43 am

I love the glass hardware on the furniture pieces. Also love the peace sign/thumbs up trinkets! Great job lady!

• Reply Christine November 12, 2016 at 9:31 pm

Thank you Brittany. I am so happy with our choice of the glass hardware. Adding these other pieces brings everything together.

• Reply Amy @ My Life From Home November 10, 2016 at 10:53 am

I LOVE your space. The color palette is beautiful. The light is stunning. Great job!

• Reply Emy November 10, 2016 at 11:04 am

So pretty! The floral fabric really brings it all together. Great job!

• Reply Christine November 12, 2016 at 9:34 pm

Thank you Emy. Must say that I love the fabric choice.

• Reply Kyla @HouseOfHipsters November 10, 2016 at 11:18 am

I wanna curl up on those pink pillows!

• Reply Christine November 12, 2016 at 9:29 pm

I agree. Love these pillows.

• Reply Jen @ Noting Grace November 10, 2016 at 11:27 am

Christine! This is so fresh and bright. That light shade is gorgeous! You did an awesome job on the room – Brava for knocking it out of the park!

• Reply Christine November 12, 2016 at 9:29 pm

Thanks so much Jen. I must say – love that shade.

• Reply Jess November 10, 2016 at 12:56 pm

Your room is beautiful! It feels fresh, light, feminine, and airy. I love the colors used. Great job. I am loving the pics of you and the baby in the room.

• Reply Christine November 12, 2016 at 9:28 pm

Thanks Jess. We’re very happy with the fresh look. The pics of me and my youngest son … he is loving these video shoots. He’s a natural.

• Reply Lesley Metcalfe November 10, 2016 at 1:25 pm

Everything came together so beautifully! The panelling makes such a huge difference to the overall vibe of the room. I think my favourite pieces are the blush faux fur pillows – gorgeous! It must be hard to get out of bed in the morning, I’ll bet you just want to stay in this room all day now. I would want to!

• Reply Christine November 12, 2016 at 9:26 pm

Thank you Lesley. My husband loves to sit on the wing back chair while reading and finds it very peaceful.

• Reply Jillian November 10, 2016 at 1:41 pm

Beautiful! Very polished and pulled together, nice job!

• Reply Jessica | Petal + Ply November 10, 2016 at 1:50 pm

I am totally smitten with the color palette you chose. So beautiful and serene. So many elements to love. The white dresser with green pulls is gorgeous.

• Reply Christine November 12, 2016 at 9:23 pm

Thanks Jessica. We’re very pleased with the way our dresser turned out … I think it’s those green pulls…

• Reply Colette @ restyleitwright November 10, 2016 at 2:53 pm

Wow! Its beautiful!! So many sweet and romantic details! That light….swooooon. I love the custom board and batten too. So much pretty-ness!

• Reply Christine November 12, 2016 at 9:22 pm

Thanks Colette. We do find this room sweet and romantic.

• Reply lauren | love lola November 10, 2016 at 3:54 pm

I love the color palette! So bright and cozy!

• Reply Megan Duesterhaus November 10, 2016 at 4:10 pm

This space is just so darn pretty!!! I love every single detail, you did such an amazing job!

• Reply Maria Brittis November 10, 2016 at 6:01 pm

I am just speechless, all I can say beauty in a amazing space.The colors are to drool for. The knobs are the best!
    Maria

• Reply Christine November 12, 2016 at 9:20 pm

Thanks Maria. I have that same feeling every time I walk in our room.

• Reply Joan Miller November 10, 2016 at 6:52 pm

So bright and happy! Looks fantastic!

• Reply Karen @ a house full of sunshine November 11, 2016 at 1:50 am

SWOON!! This is just pure gorgeousness. I adore your colour scheme! And those green glass knobs are perfection! It was my first ORC this year – so much fun to see everyones’ finished results. πŸ™‚

• Reply Christine November 12, 2016 at 9:18 pm

Thank you Karen. I also love to see other’s finished products.

• Reply Nadia | Preciously Me November 11, 2016 at 5:37 pm

Beautiful and fresh!
    Love the colour palette!
    Congratulations πŸ™‚

• Reply Denise November 11, 2016 at 9:20 pm

Love it! The board and batten is awesome and that light fixture is my favorite! Great job πŸ™‚

• Reply Christine November 12, 2016 at 9:17 pm

Thanks Denise. I agree – I must say I love that light fixture.

• Reply linda cassidy November 11, 2016 at 9:59 pm

It is simply stunning, love everything about it

• Reply Jenny @ Refresh Living November 11, 2016 at 10:52 pm

Gorgeous!! That board and batten wall is just perfect, and then all of your accents and color combos bring your room to life. Beautiful!

• Reply Christine November 12, 2016 at 9:15 pm

Thank you so much. We’re extremely happy with how everything worked well together.

• Reply Mar November 13, 2016 at 1:15 pm

It turned out beautifully! I love the colours, so fresh and clean πŸ™‚

• Reply Sara November 13, 2016 at 10:28 pm

Wow!! You have such an eye for pulling things toget!! I love the final design and I’m in love with the light fixture too!

• Reply Christine November 15, 2016 at 9:46 pm

Thank you so much Sara.

• Reply Britt @ My Daily Randomness November 14, 2016 at 2:44 pm

BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!! Love everything about this makeover Christine! The pendant light, the headboard, the artwork! Love. It. All!

• Reply Carol, The Red Painted Cottage November 15, 2016 at 9:54 pm

I really love all the special touches you added to this room, along with your color choices!

• Reply Christine November 15, 2016 at 9:58 pm

Thank you so much Carol.

• Reply Minakshi November 16, 2016 at 12:02 am

Hey!! You made such a difference – like I had to pick my jaw back up from the floor. Wow!
    This escalated quickly from a pretty sight to my inspiration.

• Reply Christine November 24, 2016 at 8:33 am

Ah – thanks so much Minakshi.

• Reply Nicki Parrish November 16, 2016 at 5:51 pm

Fantastic job! That light pendant! So gorgeous, and I also love the green knobs you added to the furniture. It actually looks like you made the bed higher too. So fresh and pretty!

• Reply Christine November 24, 2016 at 8:31 am

Thanks Nicki. The bed is higher now (just sat on the floor before…LOL). My youngest now brings his little stool beside the bed to climb up. Too funny.

• Reply Tash @ The Dreamhouse Project November 17, 2016 at 1:16 pm

Wow, what a beautiful bedroom!! I love the mix of soft colours with all the white. So bright and inviting. And your bed looks sooooo cozy! I could totally snuggle up there forever. Fantastic job!

• Reply Christine November 24, 2016 at 8:27 am

Thank you so much Tash.

• Reply Nicole December 10, 2016 at 9:27 pm

Hi Christine, this is absolutely beautiful. I really love your style and am very inspired by this! I love the fresh, bright, and fun feel to this, and I love the blush pillows and bed spread. Where did you find the polka dot bed spread?

• Reply Christine December 11, 2016 at 10:13 pm

Thanks so much Nicole! The polka dot coverlet I found at HomeSense (same as HomeGoods)!

• Reply liz January 10, 2017 at 12:13 pm

love your bedroom, the dΓ©cor is amazing (I love pink) does Jibe Prints have a showroom in the Toronto of surrounding areas? thanks

• Reply Eva May 12, 2017 at 2:32 am