• Inspiration / Lifestyle / Lovely Randoms

The Power of Gratitude

Speak life

This post is a little different than my normal posts, but I feel compelled to share what I was challenged with yesterday at church. I don’t often write about my beliefs and not because I’m ashamed or embarrassed by them, but more so because I want this to be a place where anyone can come and find inspiration, regardless of what we all believe. I don’t want our varying beliefs to separate us or make anyone feel unwelcome in this space. But with that said, I don’t mince words about what I do believe and how I choose to live my life.

For those of you who don’t really know me, in real life, you might be surprised to know that I’m actually a bit of a pessimistic person. I’ve always been the “glass half empty” person. I don’t really like that about myself…I wish I were more optimistic. It’s something I’m always working on. But I’m very analytical about everything and quite often, I tend to see all the problems in a certain situation. My hubby is the opposite, “glass half full”, and that’s why I think we are a great team. We bring good balance and perspective to each other.

Speak life

I was really challenged yesterday at church by what my senior pastor talked about “The Power of Words.” It’s a new series we are starting and yesterday’s message started out with this powerful verse from Proverbs 18:21

“The tongue has the power of life and death, and those who love it will eat its fruit.”

Now I want to say, whether you are a Bible-believing person or not, I think we can all take away something from here. Our words are POWERFUL. They can bring LIFE or DEATH. They can build someone up or tear someone down. Regardless of what we believe or don’t believe, we all know that we have a choice, in almost every situation in life, to be happy or to grumble.

My blogging bestie Jaclyn from Beauty and the Binky (and fashion contributor here at ATC) sent me this picture this morning and I absolutely love it! Her and I have a strong belief that when it comes to building our brands, in this business, we want to make sure everyone feels valued by us. While we can’t work with and help everyone, it shouldn’t change how people FEEL when they are around us.

Screen Shot 2015-10-05 at 9.26.21 AM

So how do we make people feel like this? It’s with our WORDS. It’s how we speak with them and make them feel. It’s showing gratitude towards them, regardless of the circumstances.

Yesterday’s message was such a great reminder to me that regardless of circumstances, regardless of how I feel, regardless of who is around…I need to CHOOSE gratitude. I need to choose to see the glass as half full. I need to choose to SPEAK LIFE. The words that come out of my mouth are so powerful that they can build someone up or they can destroy them. We need to stop focusing on the negatives things…cause reality is, they will always be there. We need to stop complaining, we need to stop waiting for that perfect life and recognize how amazing our lives truly are, and choose an attitude of gratitude.

Sure we might go through tough times and things might not look exactly as we envisioned them, but the choice is ours, everyday, in every situation: are we going to grumble or are we going to be grateful. Are we going to let our words destroy or are we going to choose to speak life?

So I want to pass on the challenge that I received yesterday. This week, how will you live your life? What posture will you assume? What language will you speak?

Choose gratitude. Choose to stop grumbling. Choose to speak life.

• Reply Jaclyn October 5, 2015 at 9:58 am

I absolutely love this message on all levels. Words really are powerful and I love that scripture. I’m such a nut with what I say that I constantly try to check myself to make sure I’ve included everyone and loved on everyone.

• Reply Janica October 5, 2015 at 10:23 am

I love this, such a powerful message! Sometimes we forget that being kind is the most basic, but most important thing of all.

• Reply shernell October 5, 2015 at 10:45 am

I am learning that I Am are the two most powerful words you can use to describe yourself. Thanks for sharing.

• Reply Jo-Anne October 5, 2015 at 10:52 am

I love this post. So true and powerful. Thanks for sharing.
    I hope that this resonates with everyone reading your post/blog.
    Love it and most of all. you xoxo

• Reply Danielle October 5, 2015 at 10:59 am

I love this post! It’s so important to focus on the positive aspect of things, no matter what’s going on. It can be hard to do, but it’s worth it.

• Reply Ericka S. Williams October 5, 2015 at 11:18 am

β€œThe tongue has the power of life and death, and those who love it will eat its fruit.”

Choose gratitude. Choose to stop grumbling. Choose to speak life.

So true. I love facebook gratitude challenges. its important to stay positive, we can drive others away with negative thoughts and conversations. Focusing your eyes on the great things about yourself, your life and your family can take you a long way.

• Reply Sydney @ Tastefully Frugal October 5, 2015 at 11:25 am

This is so true and something I need to get better at too; especially when I hear some of the bad things I say rubbing off on my boys. I love those quotes and would love to print that second one to put in my office!!

• Reply Tiffany October 5, 2015 at 12:06 pm

Hi, Christine ~ I totally understand your struggle with remaining positive. It’s a daily struggle for me, too. And I don’t like that it’s a part of my personality, either. :0) I love this post! Your honesty was so refreshing. And I think we forget how powerful our words can be. Thanks for opening up and sharing!

• Reply Brianna October 5, 2015 at 4:44 pm

Words are power. They change everything. That’s WHY we write. πŸ™‚ Thanks for sharing part of yourself in this post.

• Reply Carly @ FitLiving blog October 6, 2015 at 5:42 pm

Great post! This is such a great reminder, too, of how powerful our words are. It’s definitely something I am conscious of and am always working on. Thanks for the reminder!

• Reply Lana @ The Joy Blog October 22, 2015 at 2:55 pm

So, I love this for so many reasons, specifically the two I mention below:

1. I have spent the better part of my life in a battle of wits with my brain. I have GAD and having anxiety means that I tend to see everything with a “worst case scenario” look to it. Even awesome things turn into bad ones because I get freaked out about them. So, I spent a lot of time in therapy learning how to control the thoughts that came into my head. Speaking words is a powerful way to fix it, but also learning to control our thoughts is the first step! We can actually destroy ourselves with simple negative thought patterns. I suffered lots of afflictions just becasue my brain believed the negative. I was sick physically because my brain thought negatively. Therapy helped me control these thoughts and recognize them immediately, so now I rarely have the sick days from negativity. It’s amazing the power we have over ourselves for good or bad.

2. This is precisely why I started my blog. I needed to put joy out in the world to keep it in my life. So… here I am.

Thank you for this awesome post. The world needs this stuff.