• Bathrooms / Decor / Decorating Tips / DIY

DIY Builder Grade Mirror Makeover

DIY Builder Grade Mirror Makeover

We bought our current home just over a year ago. It is the third home we have purchased but it is the first home that has been brand new. In the previous two homes, there were loads of things that needed to be fixed/updated/completed renovated, but not this home. We got to pick out many features including our countertops, cabinets, flooring, etc. It was really exciting to select the items we loved and see it all go in brand new rather than ripping out someone else’s work and dropping in our own.

But even with a brand new house, not every feature do you get to choose (unless you are building a custom home with a private builder, which we were not). The one feature that I think is most commonly placed in brand new homes without upgrade options are the “builder-grade” bathrooms mirrors. Even in my parents custom built home, their mirrors are just a slab of glass on the wall (although they are huge!)

Now, you could just remove that builder grade mirror from the wall and replace it with a store-bought framed mirror. We did this for our basement bathroom, which you can read more about here. The mirror was small enough and we actually had the perfect sized mirror already to fit that space. If you do try to shop for a framed mirror to fit those larger spaces, you will likely notice two things: 1. It’s very hard to find a framed mirror that is “bathroom” size and 2. If you do find a framed mirror that is approximately the right size, it’s bound to cost you at least $200+.

There is a more affordable way to frame out these mirrors and make them look like a custom piece that you bought. For us, we decided that we liked the size of our mirrors and really didn’t want to spend that much to swap them out (we have three bathrooms, so times everything by three). So hubby and I decided to try our own DIY builder grade mirror makeover. These mirrors ended up costing us just over $65 each, which is a far cry from $200+. Had we shopped around for sales, we easily could have kept it under $50 per mirror. It will also depend on the kind of trim/baseboard you want to use.

This is a super straightforward DIY project. The materials you will need include:
    – PL Construction Adhesive
    – Assortment of various pre-fabricated baseboard and trim moldings
    – Miter saw
    – Paint

DIY Builder Grade Mirror MakeoverSo from the very beginning of this, I will admit that we did one thing wrong! We waited until after the frame was in place and set to paint it. What we didn’t factor in would be the back, unpainted side of the frame reflecting on the mirror. It’s not a huge deal and most people would probably never notice it, but I notice it.

Step One: I’m going to say paint frame, both back and front. You will likely need to touch up the front of the frame once it’s been set in place.
    DIY Builder Grade Mirror Makeover

Step Two: Measure and cut frame pieces. Also, cut smaller pieces that will act as a stand for the frame to sit on while drying. We didn’t do this for our first mirror and the whole frame started slidding. I will add here that you will also need to remove the “hooks” that are on the top and bottom of the mirror, if your mirror has them. Luckily for us, ours weren’t actually holding the mirror in place, they were just placed there (an oversight that I actually appreciated).

DIY Builder Grade Mirror Makeover

Step Three: Starting with the bottom of the frame, put a good amount of PL adhesive on the back of the frame and set into place. Wait until this piece has somewhat set in place before continuing on.

DIY Builder Grade Mirror MakeoverDIY Builder Grade Mirror Makeover

Step Four: Adhere the side pieces, resting them on the bottom piece.
    DIY Builder Grade Mirror Makeover

Step Five: Adhere the top pieces. This will take a good 24 hours to set into place. Once set, remove small pieces that were holding it place. DIY Builder Grade Mirror MakeoverStep Six: Finishing by touching up paint and enjoy your beautiful new mirror!

I realize I haven’t featured this bathroom yet (will do so coming up) but this is where I took the best step-by-step pictures. Below is what the before and after look like in our master bathroom, which I shared all about here.

DIY Builder Grade Mirror Makeover

DIY Builder Grade Mirror Makeover There is a super simple DIY mirror makeover. It’s crazy what a difference this makes to your space by adding a simple frame to those basic mirrors. If you or your partner can cut the pieces of baseboard/trim, this is a fairly simple project that you can definitely attempt!

• Reply Ruthie July 8, 2015 at 9:54 am

I love it! I’ve been wanting to do something similar to this for quite awhile! Thanks for the reminder and kick in the butt to do it 🙂

• Reply Christine July 17, 2015 at 12:03 pm

Ha! My pleasure Ruthie! xox

• Reply Iris Nacole July 8, 2015 at 9:57 am

I love the new look!! We’ve been toying with the idea of making over our master bathroom, and that comes with the decision of leaving or replacing the massive mirror the builder placed on the wall. If push comes to shove, this is a wonderful option! Thanks for sharing!

• Reply Christine July 17, 2015 at 12:03 pm

Right on! Thanks for stopping by! xox

• Reply Joy Johnson July 8, 2015 at 10:15 am

Girl, you are spot on to my life these days. We have two bathrooms and this is something I was planning on doing, but the style of your frames is not one I’ve seen elsewhere and I gotta say, they are probably my favorite right now.
    Would you do anything differently if the mirror is actually placed directly above the backsplash? Ours do not have a space. Does that make sense?

• Reply Christine July 17, 2015 at 11:55 pm

Just as long as it’s resting on something to get it that support while it dries. And play with the frames and mouldings. We just used a few different types that we liked and made our own frame! xox

• Reply Sara July 8, 2015 at 10:40 am

Love it. Those builder grade mirrors, yuck! What a difference it makes when someone either does what you did or replaces them. I really like what you did! It looks amazing!! Great job!

• Reply Tiffany July 8, 2015 at 12:42 pm

HI, Christine ~ This mirror looks amazing! I have three builder-grade mirrors that I’d love to update, so I’ll be back to follow this tutorial. Thanks for sharing and have a great day!

• Reply Christine July 17, 2015 at 12:02 pm

Awesome! My pleasure Tiffany! xox

• Reply Karen July 8, 2015 at 1:15 pm

Christine, this is a really smart and great looking solution! I love how easy you made it was for you to upgrade the style!
    Pinning 🙂
    Karen

• Reply Angela Tolsma July 8, 2015 at 3:14 pm

it is amazing how a frame changes everything!

• Reply Christine July 17, 2015 at 12:01 pm

Right?! Thanks for stopping by! xox

• Reply Sydney @Tastefully Frugal July 10, 2015 at 12:30 am

Wow! I love it!! And such a great tutorial! I also love the birds in the first bathroom.

• Reply Christine July 17, 2015 at 11:55 pm

Thank you! And would you believe those birds are from the dollar store?! Never know what you’re gonna find there! xox

• Reply Pam July 12, 2015 at 1:17 pm

They look fabulous!! What a HUGE difference a little frame makes!! Love it!!!!

• Reply Christine July 17, 2015 at 11:56 pm

Thanks love! I know…the difference it kinda crazy! xox

• Reply Beth July 12, 2015 at 5:21 pm

We did something similar when we moved into our house 11 years ago. It was already 10 years old at that point so we had the same guy who did a lot of built in cabinets for us frame out the mirrors in each bathroom. Such a huge difference!

• Reply Christine July 17, 2015 at 12:01 pm

Right?! So great! Thanks for sharing! xox

• Reply jessica July 17, 2015 at 11:24 pm

This DIY makes such a huge difference in the bathroom. A few years ago, my Sis-in-law and I added trim to my in-laws guest bath and it totally upgraded that bathroom. I have been tempted to do the same in our rental, but I am tired of putting out on things that I will not be able to take with me once we move. It looks great and those birds on the wall are so cute! BTW…we made the same mistake about not painting the back of the trim as well. I notice it every time we go there.

• Reply Christine July 17, 2015 at 11:57 pm

Ya that’s hard when living in a rental. I remember that well…you so wanna just create and make the space fabulous but don’t want to sink money into something that isn’t your own. And you know, those birds are from the dollar store! LOL! Crazy eh?! xox

• Reply Courtney Wolf August 3, 2015 at 10:16 am

Love this idea! Definitely saving this post for when we buy a new house 🙂

• Reply Lindsay August 5, 2015 at 7:39 am

This is such a great idea and makes a drastic improvement to the overall look and appearance of the bathroom. I also love your paint color.

• Reply Ella P August 15, 2015 at 1:49 am

Awesome DIY. I loved loved loved by the way the minty color of the walls. I might try that one for my house next time.

Thanks for the cool post!

• Reply Christine August 25, 2015 at 4:57 pm

My pleasure! Enjoy Ella! xox

• Reply Aleigh Moore October 3, 2015 at 3:22 pm

Love! I want to do this too! Looks so good!