• Kitchen Utensils / Lifestyle / Lovely Randoms

The Little Things: Coffee Mugs

Starbucks City Mugs

As I was getting ready to make myself a cup of coffee, I decided to share with you all a little collection of mine: coffee mugs! If there is one way to my heart, it’s through mugs! Whenever I’m in a store like Chapters, HomeSense and mostly Starbucks, I go straight to the mug section and I get giddy! I’m not sure what it is about them, but what I do know is that I LOVE them! Even when I’m visiting at my parents or a friends home, I usually scout out their mug selection to pre-determine which one I’d like to use for my morning coffee! Ok, I’m sounding more and more weird as I’m typing this!

Starbucks Collector MugsBut we all have something like that, don’t we? Something that we love to collect. Something that brightens our day. Something that makes us smile. Even though it’s materialistic, we live our lives surrounded by material things. And although I know I won’t be taking any of these mugs with me to Heaven, I do think it’s fun to celebrate the little things in our lives that make life just that much more enjoyable. And if I could go so far to say, I think even God loves to see us enjoying His creation…His provisions in our lives…His riches that He’s bestowed on us through both material possessions and family/friends.

You see, these aren’t just coffee mugs to me. These are stories. These are part of dear friendships that I hold so valuable to me. Some are heirlooms now being passed down to the next generation. These mugs mean so much more to me than just a piece of porcelain that contains my coffee: they represent pieces of my life.

Fine China teacups

All of the Starbucks mugs have a story behind them and I know them all. Each day, I pick a different one and I think about the person that bought it for me or the place we visited when we bought it. It conjures up so many warm and awesome memories of love and gratitude. Three of the colorful fine china teacups and saucers where my grandmas wedding gift. That is so special to me. Our white Wedgewood fine china was mostly bought from my husband’s granny as a wedding present and she is no longer with us. We honor her when we use them. The two Chapters Initial mugs, one L and one M, where mine and my daughter Leah’s when we celebrated the launch of this blog with a party. She absolutely loves drinking out of her special mug cause she remembers that day was so special for mommy and so special that she was included with the big girls!

Chapters Indigo

These mugs are so much more then mugs.

These mugs are always a conversation piece in our home when friends come to visit. Especially the Starbucks collection. Mostly people laugh at us cause they think it’s a little weird that we have an ENTIRE CUPBOARD devoted to JUST mugs! We started collecting the mugs on our first cruise eight years ago as a practical souvenir (Puerto Rico & Bahamas were the first ones) and now, over 30 mugs later, we have mugs from all around the world! My mom is almost just as obsessed as we are in collecting them! She not only diligently searches for Starbucks in every place she visits, she’s got her friends AND co-workers buying them for us from their travels! That is so special and meaningful to me!

Fine chine teacups

I decided to stop and count all my Starbucks mugs (by the way, do you know that these are now all collectors items and are selling for BIG money on ebay?!) and recount the stories from them. I couldn’t believe I had over 30 mugs! Below are the stories that come with each precious mug.

Starbucks Collection:
    1. Nashville (You Are Here Collection), given by my best friend Christina when we visited her & her family in their new home. The only one I have in this new series
    2. New Zealand (Global Icon Series), given by my parents from their travels
    3. Australia (Global Icon Series), given by my parents from their travels
    4. Tainan (Global Icon Series), given by my friend Stephanie & Jonelle from their travels
    5. Taiwan (Global Icon Series), given by my friend Stephanie & Jonelle from their travels
    6. Hawaii x2 (Global Icon Series), given by my friend Alyssa from her travels
    7. Switzerland (Global Icon Series), given by my mom’s co-worker
    8. Indianapolis (Global Icon Series), given by family friends the Crosiers from their travels
    9. Charlotte (Global Icon Series), bought for ourselves after spending all day in the Charlotte airport
    10. Turkey (Global Icon Series), given by my parents from their travels
    11. Toronto (Global Icon Series), given by my friend Amelia and now where we live
    12. Los Angeles (Global Icon Series), given by my parents from their travels
    13. Northern Ireland (Global Icon Series), given by my parents friends
    14. London (Global Icon Series), exchanged online with someone from a Facebook collectors group. I know, I’m a little weird. I admit it!
    15. Chicago (Global Icon Series), given by our friends Angela & Blair from their trip
    16. Aruba (Global Icon Series), given by my parents from their travels. This has a crack in it so we don’t use it anymore but I think it’s the prettiest one in the entire series
    17. Florida (Global Icon Series), bought for ourselves from a somewhat life changing trip to Florida two years ago. It has a big chip in it so we don’t use it anymore, but every time I see it, I am reminded of God’s faithfulness in our lives
    18. Canada (Global Icon Series), given by my friend Julia
    19. Vancouver (Global Icon Series), given & mailed by my friend and mentor Phil S
    20. Poland (Global Icon Series), given by our friends Amber & Matt from where they used to live
    21. Singapore (Global Icon Series), given by my second mom & dad, Linda & Tom
    22. Vancouver (Skyline Series), bought for ourselves when we used to live there. To date, my all time favorite Starbucks City mug! Vancouver has my heart: that’s where I met my hubby, went to school and made so many lifelong friends. Transformational years were spent there for me.
    23. Victoria (Skyline Series), bought for ourselves when we visited my hubby’s Granny there
    24. New York (Architectural Series), bought for ourselves on our trip to NYC when we fell in love with that city many years ago
    25. Canada (Architectural Series), bought for ourselves randomly one day when getting coffee
    26. Las Vegas (City Scene Series), given by my friend Renee, who had been given by her daughter Amber (also my dear friend) from her travels
    27. Toronto (City Scene Series), bought by my friends Julia & Christina
    28. London (CityMug Collectors Series) given by my friend Renee, who had been given by her daughter Amber (also my dear friend) from her travels
    29. Puerto Rico (CityMug Collectors Series), bought by ourselves on our Caribbean cruise *this mug started it all!*
    30. Paris (CityMug Collectors Series) given by my friend Renee, who had been given by her daughter Amber (also my dear friend) from her travels
    31. Istanbul (CityMug Collectors Series) given by my friend Renee, who had been given by her daughter Amber (also my dear friend) from her travels
    32. Bangkok (CityMug Collectors Series) given by my friend Renee, who had been given by her daughter Amber (also my dear friend) from her travels
    33. Bahamas (CityMug Collectors Series), bought by ourselves on our Caribbean cruise
    34. Munich (CityMug Collectors Series) given by my friend Renee, who had been given by her daughter Amber (also my dear friend) from her travels

Starbucks City MugsWhat is the little thing in your life that brings you a little added joy everyday? What do you love to collect? Leave me your answers in the comments below!

By the way, I think it’s time I clear my space in another cupboard for more mugs!

• Reply Jaclyn May 20, 2015 at 10:44 am

Omgsh we have a ton of mugs, too! We’re working on the Starbuck’s collection!

• Reply Christine May 21, 2015 at 9:13 am

That’s awesome!!! Aren’t they the best?! xox

• Reply Jo-Anne May 20, 2015 at 10:57 am

I love the heirloom ones. My dad (your grand-papa) bought them for my mom on their dating anniversary (over 60 years ago), wedding day gift and wedding anniversaries. Most were lost in a fire but these remained. I need to tell grand-mama that you posted these. She will be touched.

• Reply Christine May 21, 2015 at 9:13 am

I love the story behind them and it means so much that you guys handed them down to me! Thanks Mom! xox

• Reply Hannah Diane May 20, 2015 at 11:11 am

I’m a HUGE tea cup and mug fan! Love this!

• Reply Christine May 21, 2015 at 9:14 am

That’s awesome Hannah! Thanks for stopping by! xox

• Reply Dara May 20, 2015 at 11:13 am

I too am slightly obsessed with coffee mugs. ): I have a cupboard full and it takes up so much room in my small kitchen. LOL I might have to start taking up a shelf in the garage!

• Reply Christine May 21, 2015 at 9:15 am

We are lucky enough to have the space finally to house them all! Aren’t coffee mugs just the best?! Thanks for stopping by! xox

• Reply Sam @ PancakeWarriors May 20, 2015 at 11:23 am

I collect mugs from my travels as well, it really is such a great way to remember the trip. I got so upset when Starbucks changed their mugs ๐Ÿ™ I loved them!

• Reply Christine May 21, 2015 at 9:16 am

ME TOO!!! They seriously need to just stick to ONE collection! We decided to make a go of collecting the icon series but now they are done and we are so sad!!!

• Reply Lauren May 20, 2015 at 11:26 am

Mugs are so much fun, I should start buying them on trips, what a fun way to remember trips!

• Reply Christine May 21, 2015 at 9:17 am

Absolutely! Better than trinketey souvenirs that you probably won’t use

• Reply Renee May 20, 2015 at 11:37 am

how wonderful to see that the stories live on!!
    I remember the visit when I gave you those mugs ..l am so glad the memories have a place of honour! I too love China and history ..I honour may dear Mom when I use her China and silver ….collecting memories will keep us company as we grow older …glad to see you are keeping this art alive Christine …LOVE your blog …LOVE YOU!!

• Reply Christine May 21, 2015 at 9:18 am

Renee!! Thanks for stopping by here and for your constant encouragement and support! And thank you again for those mugs! I absolutely LOVE them and think of you all when we use them! Miss you! xox

• Reply Heather Dean May 20, 2015 at 11:46 am

Oh gosh, Mugs are my favorite thing to collect! Your collection looks so beautiful!

• Reply Christine May 21, 2015 at 9:22 am

Thanks Heather! xox

• Reply Jessica May 20, 2015 at 1:13 pm

What a fun collection! Our mug collection is pretty eclectic and I love it. My favorites are the ones my boys hand painted from my moms art studio. Love them!

• Reply Christine May 21, 2015 at 9:22 am

Oh that’s so precious! I would love those too! xox

• Reply Tessa May 20, 2015 at 1:31 pm

How cool! I love the mug collection! I think you’re rightโ€“we all have something we tend to collect. I always think it’s interesting to find what each person’s is. It kind of defines them :).

• Reply Christine May 21, 2015 at 9:23 am

And it’s fun to know what your friends collect so you can also contribute to their lives in that way! Thanks for stopping by! xox

• Reply Miranda @ Miranda Writes Blog May 20, 2015 at 2:24 pm

This is such a sweet post! I think it’s so nice that you have a collection like this. My collection’s not quite as cohesive but I have a series of vintage items that I’ve been given by family members that I hold very dear (vintage vases, bowls, trunk, jewelry chest, etc). They are ‘pass down to your children’ or ‘save first in a fire’ kind of pieces and I love them.

• Reply Christine May 21, 2015 at 9:25 am

That’s awesome Miranda! Love heirlooms like that that stay in the family and carry so much meaning! xox

• Reply Kate May 20, 2015 at 2:27 pm

I love coffee mugs too! it drives my husband a little crazy ๐Ÿ™‚

• Reply Christine May 21, 2015 at 9:25 am

Ya, Chris also thinks I’m a bit odd for my crazy collection but oh well!

• Reply Jessica May 20, 2015 at 3:44 pm

I love it, especially the heirloom ones! These are things you can give to your kids when you are older so they can remember you. Love love love your collection and the stories behind them.

• Reply Christine May 21, 2015 at 9:28 am

Aren’t those the best Jess?! Thanks for stopping by girl! xox

• Reply Jasmine May 20, 2015 at 6:40 pm

beautiful collection. I really have a coffee mug obsession and I can’t wait to keep collecting. I love yours.

• Reply Christine May 21, 2015 at 9:30 am

Thanks Jasmine! Isn’t it so fun to collect them?! xox

• Reply LiNdsay May 20, 2015 at 8:19 pm

I was visiting a clients house one weekend not long ago for my weekend pet sitting job and their cabinet looked identical to your collection! Mostly Starbucks mugs, actually I think all of them were.

I especially love the fine china cups and saucers; they’re beautiful! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Reply Christine May 21, 2015 at 9:30 am

Thanks Lindsay! Such a fun thing to collect! xox

• Reply Megan May 20, 2015 at 8:40 pm

1) I was really excited about this because we, too, have a cupboard full of mugs lol! 2) What an awesome thing to have a collection of them from around the world, you’re right, it is a great topic for conversation! The only thing I got from every city around the world I visited was a slice of pizza lol

• Reply Christine May 21, 2015 at 9:31 am

Well pizza is also great! Ha! Thanks for stopping by Megan! xox

• Reply Lauren White May 20, 2015 at 8:48 pm

I have a coffee mug addiction too! Ha! I love that you have a story behind each one!

• Reply Christine May 21, 2015 at 9:31 am

Thanks Lauren! xox

• Reply Michelle H May 20, 2015 at 11:00 pm

I love your cupboard of mugs! Almost all of mine are travel mugs with lids so the kids won’t spill when they’re jumping on me. They’re practical, but not pretty. Maybe I’ll splurge one of these days! My weakness is journals-someday my kids will be cleaning out my house and think I had a serious lack of commitment, buying journals and never putting anything in them.

• Reply Christine May 21, 2015 at 9:32 am

Oh journals are fun too! I love all kinds of pretty stationery! Thanks for stopping by Michelle! xox

• Reply Jessica May 21, 2015 at 12:10 am

I love collecting coffee mugs and tea cups too! I love that you have a story behind each one!
    ~Jessica

• Reply Christine May 21, 2015 at 9:32 am

So fun, right?! xox

• Reply Paula May 21, 2015 at 12:15 pm

Great stories behind the mugs! It is so important to fill your life and your home with memories.

• Reply Christine May 21, 2015 at 1:03 pm

Absolutely! Thanks for stopping by! xox

• Reply Lisa @ Strum Simmer Sip May 21, 2015 at 4:23 pm

Wow you have such a beautiful collection! I like how you have a few of each different kind so they look cohesive. I feel like my collection of coffee mugs are all so random!

Lisa
    Strum Simmer Sip

• Reply Christine May 22, 2015 at 9:45 pm

Thanks Lisa! xox

• Reply Colleen @ MommieDaze May 21, 2015 at 9:49 pm

What a great collection! I have some special mugs, but I broke my favorite one last year. It was so sad!

• Reply Christine May 22, 2015 at 9:46 pm

OH NO! That’s so sad! My two favorites are unusable so I just look at them! Thanks for stopping by Colleen! xox

• Reply Kayla May 21, 2015 at 11:47 pm

LOVE those Antrho mugs… I’ve got mine in a K and it just puts me in such a good mood! Thanks for sharing your collection! xoxox, Kayla http://www.lostgenygirl.com

• Reply Christine May 22, 2015 at 9:46 pm

Aren’t they the best?! They also put me in a good mood! Thanks for stopping by Kayla! xox

• Reply Julie May 27, 2015 at 3:53 pm

I do the exact same thing at all of those stores! Mugs for dayyyyys! Favourite collectible for sure! Great read!

• Reply Christine May 27, 2015 at 4:01 pm

So fun, right?! Thanks for stopping by! xox