• Entertaining / Kids Birthday's

Little Moustache Bash: Gabriel’s 1st Birthday

Little Moustache Bash Birthday Party

Last night I brought my middle child, Gabriel, to his Junior Kindergarten orientation. I still am not sure where the last four years have gone and finding it hard to believe that it’s almost time for him to enter school! You know that saying “The days are long, but the years are short?” Well never has that rang more true then with my son Gabriel.

The first two years of his life there were moments when it felt as though time stood still. I mean REALLY still. Gabe was a tough baby. He had severe eczema and was basically in excruciating pain for the first six months of his life. We went from doctor to doctor in search of answers and nothing seemed to help until we finally saw a dermatologist who prescribed a whole slew of medications and within three treatments, he was a different boy. Problem was, by that point, he had developed the absolute worst sleeping habits and it would take us another full year of sleepless nights to try and correct them. There was alot of pacing the floors, alot of crying (from both him and me!) and alot of praying!

Little Moustache Bash Birthday

Needless to say, the first few years were really tough. But once we finally got him over the sleep issues and his eczema came under control, it was like a whole new boy emerged. If you know Gabe now, you know that he is one of the sweetest, funniest and most loving little boys you’ll ever meet. I can’t count how many times in one day he will stop what he is doing, come over to me, wrap his arms so tightly around me and say “You’re the mommy I always wanted! I love you!” This boy is so special. And it’s hard for me to wrap my head around the idea of sending him off to school in just a few short months.

So with that, I wanted to go back and reminisce with you about his first birthday. I struggled long and hard to come up with a theme that I felt reflected his funny personality (that by this point was starting to come to life). I finally settled on “Little Moustache Bash” and wanted to share that with you today! Please note, that these pictures were taken almost four years ago…wayyyyyy before I knew how on earth to take good quality photos with our SLR. So don’t mind the flash and other issues you may notice!

We did a lunch BBQ for our family and friends. The menu included hotdogs and sausages, potato salad, caramel popcorn, chocolate pretzel “cigars” and homemade chocolate fudge cupcakes!

Little Moustache Bash Birthday Party

Little Moustache Bash Birthday Party

Little Moustache Bash Birthday Party

I bought chocolate molds from Michaels and made chocolate moustaches which were such a hit!

Little Moustache Bash Birthday Party

We had the table set up so the kids could color while they ate.

Little Moustache Bash Birthday Party

I raided my dad’s old tie collection and used a bunch of them to decorate! I love that it added a personal touch from Grandpa as well as some true vintage!

Little Moustache Bash Birthday Party

I always try and put something on the front door when I throw parties. I really feel like this helps set the tone for your party, before your guests even walk through your doors.

Little Moustache Bash Birthday Party

I wanted a fun craft that kids of all ages could do and then take home to remember the party. I also really like the idea of incorporating the craft as the kids take-away from the party. When you make something fun, you don’t need extra loot bags filled with stuff that the kids will likely break or loose. I don’t think parents appreciate that either (ok, maybe it’s just me!). This was so easy, albeit extremely messy, and cheap!
    Little Moustache Bash Birthday Party

I purchased these canvases from the Dollar Store and then used painters tape to tape off each kids name. Then we let the kids go at it with finger paints. It was super messy and we probably went through three packages of baby wipes, but they all had a blast! Once the canvases were dry, we removed the painters tape to reveal their names. Little Moustache Bash Birthday Party

Here is what a finished one looked like. I think this was one that turned out the best!

10937385_10152562915105598_1232268172_n

Well there you have it! Our first birthday bash for our not-so-little-anymore, little guy! Do you have a birthday party that you’ve planned for one of your children that you’d like featured right here on the blog? If so, please fill out this form to apply. We have a guest reader birthday post coming up THIS weekend that we can’t wait to share with you.

[Tweet “Little Moustache Bash Birthday Party for your little man! #amidstthechaos”]

Happy Friday friends!

• Reply Emily May 22, 2015 at 10:23 am

That is such a cute party! My middle one (who is 5) was our tough baby. He was born 7 weeks premature and bringing him home was a hard road. Feedings, long, really long feedings, weight checks, pneumonia. Because of that he was a fussy baby. Once he turned about 2 he transformed into my sweet, kind, always helpful boy. My youngest will be in 4k. The years do race by!

• Reply Christine May 22, 2015 at 9:48 pm

Wow! Sounds like you had a rough go too! Glad to hear he turned around! Thanks for stopping by Emily! xox

• Reply Stephanie May 22, 2015 at 10:31 am

What a great theme!! Fun pictures and I lovelovelove the tie banner!!! So awesome and a unique idea!

I have one going on to kinder this Fall too. They grow too quickly.

Thanks for sharing!

• Reply Christine May 22, 2015 at 9:49 pm

Awe thank you Stephanie! My pleasure! xox

• Reply Melodi Steinberg May 22, 2015 at 11:00 am

omg! This is one of the cutest parties I have ever seen. I love the paint idea! Totally gonna try it!

• Reply Christine May 22, 2015 at 9:50 pm

Thank you Melodi! Definitely give it a try! So easy and fun! xox

• Reply Katrina Turnbull May 22, 2015 at 11:44 am

Christine, I absolutely love the theme and decor for your son’s first birthday. It looked so sweet and charming. Kudos to you for putting in such a huge effort and executing all those thoughtful details. I had a similar go-all-out party for my son’s first birthday this year, with a Dr. Seuss theme! It was so much work, I don’t know I’ll be able to maintain the same level of awesomeness for subsequent parties. Were the rest of your son’s birthday parties as detailed? I’m still working on my Dr. Seuss birthday party themed post. I had so many details, it’s taking ages to put up. But I’ll submit it once it’s complete. Great idea!

• Reply Christine May 22, 2015 at 9:52 pm

Hey Katrina! Thanks for stopping by and for the love! And yes, I’m unfortunately a little party crazy so all the kids parties have been at this kind of level! I’ve blogged a few of them but still have others to share as well! And I can’t wait to see yours! Please let me know once it’s up…I can even share it here! LOVE crazy themed parties!!! So fun! xox

• Reply laura May 22, 2015 at 11:49 am

Those decorations are so cute and what a cute and fun craft project! I love the colors too!

• Reply Christine May 22, 2015 at 11:47 pm

Thank you so much Laura! xox

• Reply claire May 22, 2015 at 11:53 am

Great party! Love the chocolate cigars 🙂

• Reply Christine May 22, 2015 at 11:47 pm

Thank you Claire! They were super easy to make! xox

• Reply Jacynta May 22, 2015 at 11:59 am

such an adorable theme! you have a talent for parties! the ties are awesome. looks amazing Christine!

• Reply Christine May 22, 2015 at 11:47 pm

Thanks girl! It’s a hobby of mine! xox

• Reply Logan Can May 22, 2015 at 12:34 pm

This is SO adorable! I love the “cigars.” That is so clever!

• Reply Christine May 22, 2015 at 11:48 pm

Thanks Logan! Super easy and fun to make! xox

• Reply Justine Y @ Little Dove Creations May 22, 2015 at 12:38 pm

All the details are so perfect! I love the ties as decor and I love the fun kid’s craft! That is such a great idea!

• Reply Christine May 22, 2015 at 11:38 pm

Thanks Justine! It was a super fun party! xox

• Reply Brittany Bergman May 22, 2015 at 2:48 pm

This party is ADORABLE. Each detail really shines! Also, I could not agree more: the days are long, but the years really are short. I’ve been feeling that way lately and this phrase has been a constant reminder to me!

• Reply Christine May 22, 2015 at 11:39 pm

Thanks Brittany! We will all be sitting here one day longing for those years back! So hard while we are in them but so sad once they are gone! Enjoy momma! xox

• Reply Jaya Pandey May 22, 2015 at 8:37 pm

Love the idea of ties. And the art work, perfect idea for party fun. I love birthday party posts. Great to see all the ideas parents put together by parents.

• Reply Christine May 22, 2015 at 11:40 pm

Thanks Jaya! I have a few more coming up so stay tuned! xox

• Reply K. Elizabeth @ YUMMommy May 23, 2015 at 12:46 pm

The decor is amazing! And the finger paint name canvas is such a brilliant idea.

• Reply Christine May 24, 2015 at 8:59 pm

Thank you! xox

• Reply Brooke Knipp May 24, 2015 at 4:02 pm

So cute! I think having a creative activity at a kids’ party is always the best route (says the art teacher) and your canvases were great! Baby wipes are so helpful to have around, even when you no longer have babies, in my opinion 🙂 You are so creative!!

• Reply Christine May 24, 2015 at 9:01 pm

Thanks love! And yes, I think I will ALWAYS have baby wipes in my life now! So useful! xox

• Reply Brittany May 24, 2015 at 9:32 pm

What a perfect party for a little man! Love it, and the painting idea at the end is AWESOME!

• Reply Christine May 25, 2015 at 1:31 pm

Thank you Brittany! xox

• Reply Lauren White May 25, 2015 at 3:26 pm

What fun!!! Did you find this totally stressful? My little one is turning nine months this coming Thursday and I’m just now starting the whole look-for-an-idea-on-Pinterest and it’s so overwhelming! Our guest list is going to be small, so luckily I won’t have to go over the top!

• Reply Christine May 27, 2015 at 3:50 pm

I don’t find it stressful, really. It’s a hobby for me, so I enjoy paying attention to all the little details! Best of luck with the party details! xox

• Reply Mwali May 25, 2015 at 5:06 pm

Very cute final results! To be cherished, for sure! Great idea Christine! 🙂

• Reply Christine May 27, 2015 at 3:52 pm

Thanks Mwali! xox

• Reply Ellen Oliveira May 25, 2015 at 8:41 pm

This looks so amazing! You did a great job mama. I too had a hard time choosing a theme for my kiddos first birthday, and settled on vintage airplanes.

Young Love Mommy

• Reply Christine May 28, 2015 at 10:04 am

Oh now that sounds amazing too Ellen! Would love to see pics of that! xox

• Reply Julie May 27, 2015 at 3:40 pm

I remember this party so well! You always go above and beyond for your kids’ birthdays!! The painting idea for the kids was such an amazing one!!

• Reply Christine May 27, 2015 at 3:42 pm

Thanks Julie! Can’t wait for little Cece’s 1st birthday! Auntie is going to spoil her! xox

• Reply Caroline @ In Due Time September 11, 2015 at 4:50 pm

how cute! I always love banners – yours look great!

• Reply Brittany September 11, 2015 at 4:52 pm

Such a great idea with the painting!! I love the mustache theme!!

• Reply Christine October 1, 2015 at 11:47 am

Thanks so much Brittany! xox

• Reply Ashley September 11, 2015 at 7:04 pm

Oh my gosh! What creative ideas! I LOVE the ties. And that craft! 😍😍😍 Seriously saving this for my littles birthday party coming up!

• Reply Jen @ Living in His Way September 12, 2015 at 9:12 am

My almost one year old has been tough too so I can totally relate! I have to admit, I’ve never really been a fan of the whole mustache thing for little boys… until I saw this party! I love the ties on the wreath and the banner. And the paint activity is brilliant! Pinning a lot of things here 🙂

• Reply Amanda @ Green Tea + Cotton September 12, 2015 at 10:54 am

What a cute birthday! The canvas with painters tape finger painting is BRILLIANT!! I love the colors too!

• Reply Kelly September 12, 2015 at 11:58 am

Love the ties as a garland! I’ve always loved this theme, great job!

• Reply Brittany September 12, 2015 at 6:36 pm

OMG girl I love it! The tie banner, the wreath, and paint craft!

• Reply Alicia September 12, 2015 at 7:25 pm

This is SO cute!! I love all of the ties! And finger painting canvases, omgosh LOVE! What an awesome idea, and so much better than a favor bag 🙂 such a cute party, and your little man sounds so sweet!

• Reply Lisa Gegolick September 12, 2015 at 11:58 pm

I’m so sorry to hear that Gabe suffered with eczema! I have it and have terrible memories of living with it as a child, but luckily you fit it under control so soon!

Love his party details and those canvases are genius!

• Reply Lorinda September 13, 2015 at 10:35 am

I adore the moustache theme! This is great and I think I”m going to add it to the list of possible themes for a 3rd bday! well done!

• Reply Misty Blue September 13, 2015 at 4:59 pm

Wow, the wreath. You really go above and beyond, mama!!!

• Reply Christine October 28, 2015 at 1:30 pm

I try! It’s a hobby! xox