• DIY / Entertaining / Kids / Kids Birthday's / Party Planning Tips

Frozen “Ice” Birthday Party

My daughter turned five last week! And like every other girl on the planet, she’s been begging for a Frozen-themed birthday party since the minute she watched the movie! As an event planner, though, I’m not a huge fan of doing such literal character parties. To be honest, before I had kids, I said they would NEVER wear character clothing. Ya…that changed pretty quickly! You realize just how much your kids LOVE these characters and how real they are to them…and once you start seeing the world through their eyes, you kinda start to love those characters too!

Frozen Birthday

So when I set out to start planning this birthday party, I knew that while I was going to incorporate the characters from the movie to some extent, I wanted it to be a unique twist on a traditional Disney Frozen party. Let me walk you through the various elements of the party! Also, I want to use this post also as a somewhat educational tool for the many of you who ask about how I party plan. I will be adding tips all throughout the post!

So I focused more on the “ice” theme complete with colors of white, all shade of blues and silver! I wanted it to have that snowy, freshly-frozen iced feel to it. So with all those ideas in mind, I set out to start collecting! Tip #1: When you are party planning, it’s really important to have a concept/theme, and colors in mind before you start buying items. If you don’t, you will likely end up in a store and be so confused and frustrated because you don’t know where to begin.

Frozen themed birthday party

As many of you know, my absolute favorite store is Target. I, like many Canadians, was absolutely devastated when they announced that they were closing up shop here in Canada. I have been a faithful Target shopper for years as we would spend many winters down south in Florida. I understood the Target brand and when it came to home decor and party planning, this was honestly my go-to place. So as they started liquidating their items, I naturally bought up most of the store! Both banners “Follow Your Heart” and “Happy Birthday Leah” all came in one box set from Target! Also, the globe paper lanterns, plates and napkins were from there as well. Tip #2: When purchasing items for an event, make sure to buy more then what you think you need and keep your receipts. You don’t want to run out of something only to realize the store no longer has it. It’s much easier to return items after the party then be in a panic searching for more.

Frozen themed birthday party

My daughter asked for me to make her a 3-tiered cake. Of course, I didn’t want to let her down. So I baked my little heart out the night before, whipped up three different batches of icing (it was going to be a blue ombre cake, with each layer getting lighter and lighter). The plan was set into motion, the only problem is that my cake found some motion of its own and eventually fell off it’s cliff! Literally! The whole thing fell apart! I have no idea why this happened (I’ve googled it a bunch of times…I now have what I think is the perfect recipe for next time!) I was SO upset that it wasn’t working out. The hubby kept saying “Just give up on the cake and let me go grab a slab from the grocery store!” NO WAY!!! Not in my house. Not at my party! There will NOT be a slab cake! As you can see, we ended up with one layer…better than nothing…and definitely better than a slab!

Frozen themed birthday partyThe second thing to go “wrong” was my “ice” candy. Again, I spent many hours with Mr. Google and Mrs. Pinterest trying to find the best recipe and technique out there, all of them varied slightly. My first attempt totally failed…the sugar never hardened. Went back to the drawing board and realized that it wasn’t my candy thermometer that was broken, it just really does take 30+ minutes to get boiling sugar to reach 300 degrees! Second time around, it worked like a charm, however, our “ice” turned emerald green rather than a beautiful blue. Oh well, at the end of the day, this is all about “magic” so why can’t we have green ice?!  Tip #3: When trying various recipes you find online, particularly specialized ones for an event, make sure to read below the recipe in the comments that people have left. I often find those comments to be SO helpful and adjust the recipe according to what readers have tried. That’s how I realized my ice candy didn’t get hot enough the first time and why it worked the second time!

Frozen themed birthday party

We had ice glacier marshmallows. This was super easy! All I did was dip the marshmallow halfway into water and then dip it into colored sugar and let harden overnight. The next morning they were crisp and I was able to spear them and bag them! They were a huge hit, especially amongst the kids. You can get colored sugar at any bulk food store, like Bulk Barn.

Frozen themed birthday party

Our other snack was blue mountain popcorn! All I did was pop regular popcorn and then melt Wilton’s melting chocolate in blue and white and mixed it all over the popcorn! Gave it a really fun, sweet flavor! Tip #4: To help keep costs down, make as many of your own snacks as possible. Items like marshmallows, popcorn, cupcakes, cookies, etc., are all so cheap to make and then you can add in various colors in your toppings to incorporate the theme!

Frozen themed birthday party

The definite snack “hit” were the snow cones! I was fortunate enough to find an online momma, through a local Facebook group, that let me borrow her snow cone maker! I loved how the it really tied in “ice” theme in throughout the party. The kids (and some adults) were lining up for these icy treats!

Frozen themed birthday party

For entertainment, we did a craft: crystallized snowflake painting! For the craft, we simply took black cardstock and then made a mixture of equal parts hot water and epsom salts (make sure the salts are all dissolved) and had the kids paint their cardstock. As the paper starts drying, that’s when the magic really happens! The epsom salts crystallize and it looks so awesome! Everyone was so amazed with how it turned out and it was such an easy and inexpensive craft! Tip #5: When planning activities for a birthday party, remember to keep them simple. They will be so many kids to manage and energy will be running high. So something that is easy and quick is the perfect combination, especially for younger children!

Frozen Snowflake Craft

Frozen Snowflake Craft

Finally, no Frozen-themed party would be complete with a visit from the Ice Princess herself! We had Queen Elsa stop by for a magical showtime! From the moment she rang the doorbell, the squeals and giggles from all the kids were so heart warming! She sang some songs with them, read them the whole Frozen story, did face painting and then took pictures with all the kids. She even had a few special gifts for the birthday girl! If you live in the Greater Toronto Area, you will want to check out Queen Elsa of Durham for your Frozen party! Here is her Facebook page. Tip #6: When trying to find entertainment for a party, try looking on Facebook ads or in local listings, such as Kijiji or Craigslist. Obviously, you need to make sure they are reputable, but I really like the idea of working with local, smaller businesses to help support them. It’s usually a much more personal experience where everyone benefits!

Frozen themed birthday party
    And there you have it, our Frozen “Ice” themed birthday party! I am really pleased with how it all turned out! We have a much smaller space then we used to have so it does get crammed when everyone comes in, but that’s not reason to stop me from having a big bash (and shouldn’t stop you either!)

I wanted to leave you with one final tip for your next party, Tip #7: When planning the decorations for your party, don’t be limited by the pre-packaged stuff that you see in the stores, especially when it comes character parties. Be creative and let your mind soar! Shop your house first and see what you can use that works with your theme. I used picture frames from my room, coffee canisters from the kitchen and candles sticks from my table! I also used old lace from a previous party for the backdrop and table!

I will do a larger and more detailed post in the future on the specifics on party planning, but I hope you’ve been able to grab a few tips to keep in mind for your next big event!

• Reply Jo-Anne April 14, 2015 at 7:24 pm

Looks amazing. So sorry I had to miss it. We’ve been part of your big party planning/events and I know the love, time, countless hours you and Chris put in for the kids (your sister and friends). Simply amazing….so proud.

• Reply Christine April 14, 2015 at 9:56 pm

Thanks Mom! You were greatly missed! xox

• Reply Pam April 14, 2015 at 10:26 pm

This was so sweet! Fantastic job as usual! I loved the video of all of the girls singing along! How magical for them!

• Reply Christine April 15, 2015 at 8:57 pm

Thank you, my dear! And yes, the girls were just in awe of Elsa! So fun! xox

• Reply Courtney April 15, 2015 at 8:43 am

Love these ideas! We threw a Frozen-themed bday party for our daughter’s 3rd birthday this year (also including a guest appearance from queen Elsa). I definitely used Pinterest for a lot of my inspiration. We had crowns and white gloves for all the girls at their place setting. It was a blastβ€”and something my daughter asked for again for her 4th bday.

• Reply Christine April 15, 2015 at 8:58 pm

Well you know it must be good when they are asking for it again! My son did the same with his Thomas the Train party from last year! And you gotta love Pinterest! So much inspiration! Thanks for stopping by Courtney! xox

• Reply MEMcreative April 15, 2015 at 9:44 am

Simply beautiful. Loved the tips. Good job. πŸ™‚

• Reply Christine April 15, 2015 at 8:58 pm

Thanks darling! xox

• Reply Playing it by Year April 15, 2015 at 11:01 am

This is so cute! Love the added idea of having a sno-cone machine.

• Reply Christine April 15, 2015 at 8:59 pm

Thank you! And yes, it was the perfect treat to go along with the Ice theme! xox

• Reply Chelsea April 15, 2015 at 12:36 pm

OH. MY. GOSH. This is amazing!!!! Wow, mom of the year award goes to you!! I am so impressed with the fancy setup. How long did that take?! I bet the kids loved it πŸ™‚ Memories that will last a life time.

• Reply Christine April 15, 2015 at 9:00 pm

Awe thanks Chelsea! It’s a huge hobby of mine so while it’s alot of work, it’s FUN work for me! And as for how long…that’s a hard question. I spent most of last week getting set up and running around grabbing all the things I needed. Then the night before and morning of…it’s go time! Thanks for stopping by! xox

• Reply Mwali April 15, 2015 at 12:41 pm

This party looked phenomenal! What a blessing to Leah! Once again, beautiful work Christine!!! πŸ™‚

• Reply Christine April 15, 2015 at 9:00 pm

Thank you, my dear! xox

• Reply Brooke Knipp April 15, 2015 at 1:19 pm

You are amazing! I love it when people do parties like this because they love doing parties like this. I’ve been to some where the party organizer (aka Mom) was a ball of stress the entire time because of all the details and things that hadn’t worked, didn’t have time for, etc. Clearly you are great at what you do (thanks for all the tips that aren’t so obvious for the rest of us πŸ™‚ and enjoy it. I bet your daughter was in heaven!

• Reply Christine April 15, 2015 at 9:02 pm

Thank you Brooke! My very first BIG party that I did (the Yo Gabba Gabba one that’s also on the blog), I was definitely that crazy mom! My brother-in-law actually said he was never coming to one of my kids birthdays after that because of all the work I made him do! LOL! But I’ve learned and grown over the years and now I just take what I get. So when the cake falls apart and the ice turns green…OH WELL!! You just work those elements in like that’s what it was meant to be! There’s tip #8, just for you girl! xox

• Reply Ashleigh April 15, 2015 at 1:32 pm

I looks like the girls had a great time! It all look amazing! I also threw a Frozen party last years and it was a lot of fun…but a lot of work! Thank you for sharing! xx Ashleigh @SimplyWright

• Reply Christine April 15, 2015 at 9:03 pm

Thank you Ashleigh! Lots of work for sure…but always so worth it! xox

• Reply Cindy April 15, 2015 at 3:19 pm

The party looked like it was so much fun! I love the crystallized art project you guys made. I’ll have to file that for their projects.

• Reply Christine April 15, 2015 at 9:07 pm

Thank you Cindy! Yes, it was such a fun and simple craft and everyone was amazed as it tried (even the adults!) Thanks for stopping by! xox

• Reply Whitney April 15, 2015 at 4:30 pm

I love your tips, Im a big DIYer when it comes to planning my daughters parties and thankfully have been doing it right all these years haha! You cant beat Pinterest for great ideas! And my condolences for Target closing, so sad.
    Whitney

• Reply Christine April 26, 2015 at 5:03 pm

Thanks Whitney for both the condolences and the love! And Pinterest changed my life in so many ways! Just love it! Thanks for stopping by! xox

• Reply jessica April 15, 2015 at 7:05 pm

WOW, good thing I did not view this with my daughter present…she would have been a little jealous. You did an amazing job. I love the lace you used and you made your snack bar look easy to recreate. Good job!

• Reply Christine April 15, 2015 at 9:08 pm

Thank you Jessica! And yes…sometimes simple is better! I was worried that I wouldn’t have enough food, but with the added snow cones, we had tons of leftovers! Just simple, easy treats that everyone enjoyed! Thanks for stopping by! xox

• Reply ashley April 15, 2015 at 11:56 pm

Gorgeous party! Such a cute idea!

• Reply Christine April 16, 2015 at 8:23 am

Thank you Ashley! xox

• Reply Angie April 16, 2015 at 3:11 am

Beautiful and fun! Your tips were very helpful
    and the cake still looked lovely;-). I’m just impressed you baked it yourself! Btw, what is a slab cake?

• Reply Christine April 16, 2015 at 8:25 am

Thank you Angie! A slab cake is a rectangular cake you can find at just about any grocery store in their bakery. They are mass produced and usually don’t taste that great, in my opinion!

• Reply Lindsay April 16, 2015 at 10:26 am

Wow, you created and executed a great party for your babe!

I’ve come from Authentic Bloggers on Facebook and I am also a fellow Canuck blogger. I actually just live north of you in Newmarket. πŸ™‚

LOVE meeting other Canadian bloggers, so it’s a pleasure to meet your acquaintance. I am following you on every avenue now and look forward to getting to know you more.

Lindsay

• Reply Christine April 16, 2015 at 9:24 pm

Hey Lindsay! Thanks for stopping by and nice to meet you! Look forward to getting to know you better! xox

• Reply Jessica April 16, 2015 at 11:12 am

This looks like a really pretty take on a Frozen party, almost a little more mature too!

• Reply Christine April 16, 2015 at 9:28 pm

Thank you Jessica! That’s what we were going for: pretty and elegant…not so much kid Disney! xox

• Reply Sandy April 17, 2015 at 8:42 am

What a beautiful party! Love how you used the “Frozen” theme! And lots of great tips! thanks!

• Reply Christine April 17, 2015 at 9:42 pm

Thank you Sandy! And I’m glad you found the tips helpful! Thanks for stopping by! xox

• Reply Aliza B April 21, 2015 at 4:47 pm

You did such a great job! I love all the decorations. The snow cone machine is a great idea! We love buying shaved ices during the summer and it would probably be more cost effective to get a machine like the one you had! =)

• Reply Christine April 21, 2015 at 10:26 pm

Thank you Aliza! We had alot of fun putting it together! And yes, I don’t think they are actually that expensive to purchase. Hopefully you can find one for your family to enjoy! Thanks for stopping by! xox

• Reply Amy@HomeRemedies April 28, 2015 at 12:08 am

Oh my goodness! This is an absolute dream party for any little (or big!) girl! Well done!

• Reply Christine April 28, 2015 at 9:06 am