One of the many reasons that I started this blog was to be able to share with you all my home and some decorating tips I’ve learned over the years. I don’t claim to be an interior designer by any means, but I’ve tried my best to study and learn from the pros!

Home Tour Basement Bathroom

So the first place we will start with my home tour is our basement bathroom! I feel like this is a really odd place to begin, but it’s the first complete place we have in our new space. We’ve been in our new home now for almost a full year! It’s crazy how fast a year can fly by. It seems to take forever to settle into a new space: between unpacking boxes, setting everything up in their new places, trying to paint rooms, hang decor and do some upgrades! It can be so time consuming and quite frankly, can sometimes feel overwhelming.

IMG_7779

When I start to makeover rooms, I like to see the finished product right away. I’m kind of impatient that way. So I tend to work myself (and my husband’s) butts off until the job gets done and the room is complete. The problem is, with having three little kids and not always the budget to work with, it can be hard to tackle large rooms start to finish, in a short time frame.

IMG_7785
Many of my mom friends will make the same comment to me “I don’t know where you find the time to do stuff like this!” And it’s true, it can be challenging to set aside time to renovate and decorate. But amidst the chaos of my life, there are moments to be found to work on projects, if I use my time wisely. For this bathroom, I painted it one afternoon, while the kids had a nap and my oldest had a quiet time in the room next to me. I actually let her paint a little bit of the wall too, to let her feel involved! I did the first coat that afternoon and then at night, after all the kids were in bed, I did the second coat of paint. The truth is, if you know how to paint (and we’ve had lots of practice over the years of moving to so many houses) you don’t have to tape off the walls and that saves a TON of time! I’ve worked hard to steady my hand while cutting in around the ceiling (it’s not perfect) and I am positive that helps me “blitz” a room with paint!

IMG_7783Also, sometimes people will say that they can’t afford to fix up a room. Truth is, you don’t have to break the bank to makeover a space. I have a few tried and tested “tips” on how to save when making over a space.

1. Shop your home first.
I heard this years ago and it’s been one of the best decor tips I’ve found, when trying to change a space on a budget. Before you go out and start spending money, look around your home and in your storage spaces. You might be surprised at what you can find. Even look in your kitchen cupboards…maybe there’s a nice plate you could display on your wall! Or a wicker tray that you had on your coffee table, hang it up! Play around with your items and you’ll be pleasantly surprised at how those small changes can totally transform your space!

IMG_7787

2. Shop at thrift stores, yard sales and discount shops.
You may not be a thrifter or yard saler, but when it comes to decorating on a budget, these places will become your best friend! It’s incredible the stuff that people are will to give away or the treasures you can find at a fraction of the price. It may require some digging, but I promise you, it can be worth it! The added benefit to finding items super cheap, is finding unique pieces. The treasure that you might find at the thrift store is most likely not in the latest Pottery Barn catalogue! My other go-to place to shop is HomeSense! You will seriously pay a fraction of the designer price there! For me, I enjoy the treasure “hunt” and that’s exactly the feeling you get walking into HomeSense. You never know what you will find! But you can be guaranteed that it will be stylish and inexpensive! Just how I like it!

IMG_7789

3. Skip the Designer Paint
When you have your entire house to paint, that can really add up, financially speaking. There are so many great paint options out there at your local hardware stores, it’s really unnecessary to buy the boutique, designer paints. And did you know that you can color match just about paint color at the hardware store? So take Benjamin Moore, for example, all of their colors are stored in a shared paint system that places like Home Depot, Home Hardware and Lowe’s all have access to. My favorite paint that I’ve found so far is Home Depot’s CIL line. It’s very affordable (and often has sales or rebates available). We will find a Benjamin Moore color that we love and get it at Home Depot! Same color, great paint, a quarter of the price!

IMG_7791

List of Sources:

Paint: Home Depot CIL
Paint Color: Benjamin Moore “Sandy Hook Gray”
Mirror: Walmart (already had)
Lighting: Home Depot
Towel Bars: Target
Towels: Gluckstein (already had)
Canvas Art: HomeSense (already had)
Metal “Love” Art: HomeSense (already had)
Eiffel Tower & Wicker-wrapped vase: Can’t remember where these came from! We’ve had them for so long!
Soap Dispenser: Target
Metal pitcher: Yard sale
Mini-Lantern: Value Village
Twigs & Paper Flower Bunch: HomeSense
Cityscape Art: HomeSense (already had)
Shower Curtain, Rod and Hooks: Target

Well I hope you’ve been inspired by this post to get on that project you’ve been wanting to work on! It doesn’t take a ton of money or time…just a little effort and creative shopping to transform your space!

Happy Weekend, friends!

I’ve linked up to Feature Friday

31 Comments on Home Tour: Basement Bathroom

1. Tricia McKenley
    January 30, 2015 at 3:34 pm (3 years ago)

Love the makeover. Another tip is that a friend may have paint that they no longer want that could work in your home. One of my best friends had some paint that they were given, but the colours didn’t work for them, but we loved it. We ended up painting our bedroom with the colour & we used the other one for our bathroom & it cost us nothing. We didn’t even ask for it, she just said to take it if we like it. This woman never turns down such a generous gift 🙂

January 30, 2015 at 4:14 pm (3 years ago)

That’s amazing Tricia! Love that idea…cheap and upcycling! Fabulous! xox

2. Erin H
    February 2, 2015 at 4:56 pm (3 years ago)

That’s fab! I do like the paint matching trick but I never knew they actually had a database! I thought they just took your swatch and tried to match it somehow. Great tip for future reference I can actually bring them the actual paint chip from another brand and say I want this in CIL or whatever brand! good tip! 🙂 Bathroom looks fab too!

February 2, 2015 at 9:45 pm (3 years ago)

Thanks Erin! Most paint colors are stored in a shared database. Some they will still need to color match but I’ve found most are in the system! xox

3. Charli
    February 5, 2015 at 9:30 pm (3 years ago)

LOVE THAT MIRROR and that super cute old fashioned milk/water jug !!!

February 5, 2015 at 9:37 pm (3 years ago)

Thanks Charli! Small changes, like changing out the builder grade mirror can be huge in a small space like this! xox

4. Marilyn
    March 6, 2015 at 10:34 pm (3 years ago)

I’ve seen this bathroom in person and can honestly say it is BEAUTIFUL! (As is the rest of your home). Good job!

5. ashley
    April 30, 2015 at 9:44 am (2 years ago)

I LOVE the bathroom!! <3
    When we get a new house, I seriously need you to come decorate!

April 30, 2015 at 11:15 am (2 years ago)

Deal! Just starting to share our home on the blog…you can expect to see alot more! xox

6. Émilie
    April 30, 2015 at 11:19 am (2 years ago)

Very cute! I’m moving to a new apartment in 2 days and I can’t wait to decorate!

April 30, 2015 at 11:48 am (2 years ago)

Awesome! Enjoy decorating! It’s so much fun and makes your house your home! Thank for stopping by Emilie! xox

7. Bethany
    April 30, 2015 at 12:13 pm (2 years ago)

I love that gray. We definitely have similar decorating styles (aka shop the house/thrifting) and taping off to paint is one of my hugest pet peeves! Hopefully my house is half this put together someday!

May 1, 2015 at 10:23 am (2 years ago)

One room at a time girl! I know that feeling of wanting to finish it all NOW! I still have lots of spaces “under construction!” Thanks for stopping by Bethany! xox

8. Chelsea
    April 30, 2015 at 1:42 pm (2 years ago)

That looks AWESOME!!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE IT! Those are my exact colors in my home.

May 1, 2015 at 10:23 am (2 years ago)

Thanks love! Nice and neutral, eh?! xox

9. Megan
    April 30, 2015 at 4:47 pm (2 years ago)

It ALL looks super super great! Nice work Christine! 🙂

May 1, 2015 at 10:24 am (2 years ago)

Thank you Megan!!! xox

10. Brooke Knipp
    April 30, 2015 at 10:23 pm (2 years ago)

It looks great! My style of tackling new rooms/projects is so spastic. I like the idea of attempting one room at a time from start to finish…I wonder how that would work out for me. And, great tip about the hardware store’s paint selection including the colors from designers. I always buy paint there anyway, but I didn’t know about the color matching in their system. Thanks, Christine!

May 1, 2015 at 10:27 am (2 years ago)

It’s all a work in progress and can seem so overwhelming when we try and tackle the ENTIRE house! And yes definitely try the color matching! So much cheaper that way! xox

11. jessica
    April 30, 2015 at 11:39 pm (2 years ago)

Christine! Your house is gorgeous and it feels so bright. I totally feel you on not breaking the bank…you most certainly canNOT break the bank when you have kids. I agree with you on ALL of your tips. Although, I would love to use expensive name brand paint…that stuff is expensive, I just cannot bring myself to it. I always tell you this, but I love your blog!

May 1, 2015 at 10:28 am (2 years ago)

Thank you Jess! Right back at you babe…love yours too! Let’s collab sometime soon! And I would also LOVE to use designer paints…but ya, can’t bring myself to do it when there are cheaper options! Lots of love! xox

12. Jess Beer
    May 1, 2015 at 8:37 am (2 years ago)

Looks gorgeous and I LOVE your tips! Definitely need to try to use what you have FIRST!

May 1, 2015 at 10:28 am (2 years ago)

Absolutely Jess! Thanks for stopping by love! xox

13. Crystal
    May 6, 2015 at 8:09 am (2 years ago)

I love all your suggestions! I feel like I could have written this post! Spot on, and what a great little bathroom. I have a difficult time finishing projects. I get about 80% there, then I move on. Don’t forget to link back to the party so we can feature you on Friday!! And I’m glad the kiddo is better! ❤️❤️

May 7, 2015 at 10:47 am (2 years ago)

Thanks Crystal! And I’m the say…quite honestly, I have so many mostly finished projects around the house! That last little bit is always the hardest! And I just put a link…AND I fixed your typo! Ha!!! xox

14. April Rutherford
    May 11, 2015 at 2:07 pm (2 years ago)

It turned out great! I love it and we have similar stories it sounds like. Beautiful job!

May 11, 2015 at 8:57 pm (2 years ago)

Thanks April! xox

15. Meg @ Green With Decor
    May 11, 2015 at 3:49 pm (2 years ago)

This looks great!! Love your tips for decorating – shopping around the house can lead to great things! Those signs behind the toilet are adorable!

May 11, 2015 at 8:57 pm (2 years ago)

Thanks Meg! And yes, you’ll often be surprised what you can repurpose in your home! xox

16. Samara
    June 19, 2015 at 1:09 pm (2 years ago)

Definitely love this one too, so much so! It is beautiful. You have a knack for design I think 🙂

June 30, 2015 at 10:56 pm (2 years ago)

Thanks so much Samara! I really enjoy it! xox